Fixed autostart issue with XBMC Live on an Aspire Revo 3700
Preface (Skip to solution for fix)

I've had an Aspire Revo 3610 running XBMC beautifully for months now, and recently purchased a new 3700 for a second TV. I was able to install XBMC on it by writing the ISO to a thumbdrive using UNetbootin. I also worked around the inability to load modules from a CD-ROM by copying the ISO file to the root of the thumbdrive filesystem, mounting it during installation with `mount -t iso9660 -o loop`, and then specifying /dev/loop0 as the CD-ROM device.

Aside from that peculiar hack (it seems like there should be a more elegant solution), the installation went well. Upon rebooting, however, I noticed that the GRUB bootsplash looked odd, as if it were being rendered in 16 colors. No biggie. But then the boot finished, and left me at a barren CLI login prompt. Not good.

Solution

After much digging (I'm very much an XBMC noob), I finally figured out that X was not starting simply because nothing told it to; the output of `cat /proc/cmdline` had no mention of an xbmc= argument. Nor did /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Taking a clue from an unrelated bug report, I extended the relevant line in /etc/default/grub to read

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0"

Then, I ran

Code:
sudo update-grub

and rebooted. XBMC now happily boots directly to the graphical interface! Laugh

My question is this: what failed during the installation to prevent the GRUB configuration being modified appropriately? Was it something specific to the USB thumbdrive method of installation? And should I file a bug?

Thanks!
Oh My God - I think I love this post because it appears to be EXACTLY what I have been searching for.

can someone please explain in the most basic of terms how one 'extends the relevant line in /etc/default/grub to read....'

I don't know how to edit files. Sad

Also - Why would this happen for some Revo users and NOT many others? I don't understand the difference?

Cheers!
I'm guessing it has something to do with

Quote:I was able to install XBMC on it by writing the ISO to a thumbdrive using UNetbootin.

as opposed to using the built in bootmaker on the LiveCD or booting from an attached optical drive
It was never a problem back with Camelot though (regression?) - and using Unetbootin is a usual process with LIVE on a Revo - which is a popular choice for running XBMC from what I am aware.
I have a 3700 too and had nothing but trouble from the start but managed to get it fixed now though, I have ubuntu 10.10 installed and XBMC as one of the start-up programs. One thing it does do during boot up is asks me to log in using the command line at start up but if I leave it for a few seconds it just automatically logs me in.

Don't even bother with Ubuntu 10.04
VampireBill:

I'm partway thru an install on a 3700. No matter which ISO I try to run (from a CD), part of the problem seems to be a missing NVIDIA driver. Can you explain how you got your 3700 to run x? Or a simpler way? If you can, please be explicit; I don't know linux. Thanks.

roatsche
Still waiting on anyone to direct me on how to extend the' relevant line' in /etc/default/grub ... as per the solution in the first post.

Please! I'm so close to a fix!!
Stanton73: Here's the fix in detail.

Login to the command line (with username and password of xbmc) and type the following to edit the file /etc/default/grub:

Code:
sudo nano -w /etc/default/grub

You may be prompted to provide the password xbmc again.

In the text editor, move down to the line that begins with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=". Modify the part in quotes so that the whole line looks like this:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0"

Press ctrl+x to exit, answering yes when asked to save changes.

Next, run the following command to update the GRUB configuration:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Finally, reboot with the command

Code:
sudo reboot

XBMC should boot straight into graphical mode now. Be sure to post again if it's still not working. Smile
roatsche Wrote:I'm partway thru an install on a 3700. No matter which ISO I try to run (from a CD), part of the problem seems to be a missing NVIDIA driver. Can you explain how you got your 3700 to run x? Or a simpler way? If you can, please be explicit; I don't know linux. Thanks.

I used the Dharma RC2 ISO (written to a thumbdrive), which includes the 195.something version of the NVIDIA drivers which I think are needed on the 3700.
i dont think the 9.10-camalot version has this file: /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Sorry, just realized I had specified the wrong GRUB file in my above post. The correct file is /etc/default/grub. I've edited the post to show the correct file now. Sorry for the confusion.
^ maybe that file only exists in the newer version:
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ uname -a -m -p
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ll /etc/default/grub
ls: cannot access /etc/default/grub: No such file or directory
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ll /etc/default/
total 19
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5206 2009-10-13 08:50 acpi-support
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  638 2009-12-26 20:33 alsa
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   47 2009-09-07 18:58 bootlogd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1679 2009-12-26 20:31 console-setup
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   68 2009-12-26 20:34 cpufrequtils
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  486 2009-10-14 16:11 cryptdisks
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   92 2009-09-07 18:58 devpts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   86 2009-09-07 18:58 halt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   69 2009-10-20 10:19 kernel-helper-rc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  456 2009-10-22 21:56 ntpdate
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  261 2009-10-14 04:13 rcS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  381 2009-10-22 19:50 ssh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  289 2009-09-07 18:58 tmpfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  320 2010-01-04 04:51 unclutter
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1118 2009-07-31 13:55 useradd
_____

maybe because i set it up using unetbootin ?
is it odd that etc/default/grub does not exist on my RC2 install. I'm trying to fix a suspend issue and apparently that is the same file I need to edit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fixed autostart issue with XBMC Live on an Aspire Revo 37000