efficient amplifier?
cool thread Wink I feel inspired to build a set of active speakers to put in my bathroom

41hz' AMP32-PS seems like a nice lil amp and paired with a 9V 50VA transformer + a pot for the volume could be enough ? I would put all electronics inside 1 speaker enclosure then. I think Im gonna give this element from VISATON a try unless someone has a better idea for something water resistant that has high sensitivity and 8 Ohm (I live in EU BTW) ?

Ofcourse cheap it is not Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i have a pair of dayton in ceiling speakers in my bathroom (soon to be powered by one of those dayton amps after i get the xbmc w/touchscreen all hooked up in the bathroom) i haven't had a problem with them yet (9 months since they were installed). you could bypass the passive's and bi amp them Big Grin

as far as the amp being water resistant, you should look into the spray conformal coatings. it may just do the trick for your application.

one question... do you really want a pot on the speaker? i'd just adjust the volume at the source
new idea... keep the PSU outside the bathroom... and either use a switched "230V AC > 12 VDC" with AMP32 or an external trafo "230V AC > 9V AC" with AMP32-PS

I was thinking a vented enclosure (want a reasonably small box at 10litres); not sure what will happen with eg condensation and heat inside the enclosure with the amp, does a 15-25W digital amp produce a lot of heat ?

why a potentiometer... 1. it's not hifi inside the bathroom either way 2. rather nice to be able to control volume if someone were to play alot louder on the main system (I'm gonna connect this to my main xbmc powered hifi system)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

pike Wrote:I was thinking a vented enclosure (want a reasonably small box at 10litres); not sure what will happen with eg condensation and heat inside the enclosure with the amp, does a 15-25W digital amp produce a lot of heat ?

You don't need a vented enclosure. They don't produce much heat. If you're really worried about it, you can use a cast aluminum enclosure and use the enclosure as a heatsink.

I built some of these:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Munny-Speakers/

For a guy at work with an AMP32 inside the Munny. It hasn't had any problems overheating (or melting vinyl).
You usually don't use a vented speaker enclosure to get rid of the heat, you use it to get more bass.

I just ordered http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44125 to play with, each amp contains a MAX9703 inside.
bobo1on1 Wrote:You usually don't use a vented speaker enclosure to get rid of the heat, you use it to get more bass.

I forgot we were talking active speakers here. Regardless, he could put the amp in a sealed enclosure inside the ported speaker enclosure. Personally, I don't think I would put a ported speaker in a super steamy bathroom.
the more I think about it, passive speakers makes a lot more sense in a steamy bathroom environment

But I still want to build a pair of small active speakers, mostly to learn how good these small class-d amps are Smile

pike Wrote:But I still want to build a pair of small active speakers, mostly to learn how good these small class-d amps are Smile

You should! 41Hz is in Sweden.

The SMT soldering is a pain in the ass. If you haven't done it before, I would recommend one of the hole mounted kits (AMP6).

Good luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
efficient amplifier?0