Reactions to the XBMC DevCon 2010 News Post
prae5 Wrote:The Foundation has never been a no go area and if asked directly information has been given about it.

There have however been a few people that have caused issues when raising the topic of the Foundation, as they have put forward points that are simply untrue.

People often forget that everyone who is part of the Team and the Foundation do this in our free time. As such things take longer to do and other things get in the way. This does not mean that things are being hidden, quite the opposite in fact.

I hope to have something up on the Foundation over the weekend, it may not be as detailed as some people want - but hopefully it should answer enough questions to appease most people whilst the other information is put together

I am not going to argue what happened in the past. Fact is that all available info., which is needed to set up a Foundation, is not in the open.

If you are answering questions to appease people, I think you either misunderstand the reason for this Foundation to excists or this Foundation is setup for other reasons then men might assume.
Robotica Wrote:I am not going to argue what happened in the past. Fact is that all available info., which is needed to set up a Foundation, is not in the open.

If you are answering questions to appease people, I think you either misunderstand the reason for this Foundation to excists or this Foundation is setup for other reasons then men might assume.

Far from it, however as already pointed out setting things up take both time and considerable funds. The only thing that is pertinent is the people who need the information to set the Foundation up do have everything they need, and can now share this with the community as a whole.

Whilst we were keen on sharing this information it has taken considerably longer and cost far more than anticipated and it has only been relatively recently that we have been able to share this information.
prae5 Wrote:Far from it, however as already pointed out setting things up take both time and considerable funds. The only thing that is pertinent is the people who need the information to set the Foundation up do have everything they need, and can now share this with the community as a whole.

Whilst we were keen on sharing this information it has taken considerably longer and cost far more than anticipated and it has only been relatively recently that we have been able to share this information.

Honestly, I think the key reason why there hasn't been more info on the Foundation to be publicly displayed is because we aren't paying anybody (i.e. a lawyer) to put all that information on our website. When it comes to coding and designing and serving, the people of XBMC are top notch. When it comes to collecting info and displaying it for the world to see, we are a bit more behind the times. I think that's just what happens when your team is 96% coders and 4% non-coders and wannabe coders. It's kind of a miracle any information reaches the user at all.

To that effect, all credit to prae5. He's really kick started a necessary step in the communication of the group.
natethomas Wrote:To that effect, all credit to prae5. He's really kick started a necessary step in the communication of the group.

That's the truth...Imagine my surprise that practically the same day as my original post the news started flowing...
prae5 seems to have really got things going. The rest of us will support the effort to keep it moving.
jmarshall Wrote:@mikeandjeny/ralob

I'm sure prae5 + natethomas (the on-the-team volunteers for newshounds) would greatly appreciate any and all offers for assistance. We have a few articles lined up still to go (one about the foundation for instance) but we'll be looking for material for the weeklies after that. I suggest dropping prae5 a PM saying you're interested in helping out so you guys can work together.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Make a blog for users. Pick interesting ones and post on HP from time to time.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

As big a danger as feature creep, is feature keep!....

This is when a great idea from the past has been superseded, or bettered, but there's a reluctance to remove it for legacy / consistency reasons.

These can be quite subtle things that prove to significant (although not acknowledged at such) inhibitors to progress.

I know from my days in UI design that navigation / terminology etc are often carried over product after product even though there are issues... simply from the fear that users are 'used to it'. There's some logic to it, but it can also be a subtle cancer in lots of projects.
This often surfaces in a vast array of configuration settings, many of which where only introduced as interim 'workarounds', or policies that were taken 4 years ago, and assumed to be valid still. They could well be, but they might need to be revisited.

Part of XBMC's problem is that it IS rather good, and some of the skins are at the levels of commercial products....
Because it's so good, people use it frequently and make it a hub for much of their entertainment, which tempts people to want to keep the same UI for slightly 'off topic' uses... e.g. WebTV / browsing / game launchers / torrent downloaders etc.

It's really a good sign... people always want to adapt and customise great products. Bad products simply get ditched!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reactions to the XBMC DevCon 2010 News Post0