Zotac ION 5.1 optical/HDMI/passthrough
so I've checked your Samsung receiver and YES u can decode DD 5.1/DTS IN trough the optical cable. So when u connect your comp to the receiver and u have DD/DTS out than the receiver will encode and play it.
so receiver is cappable too
That is really good news. So the problem is software, and that i can play with. Its quire frustrating not knowing whats wrong and if you have purchased the wrong product.

Does mint have a better audio configuration than ubuntu? I dont get why ubuntu only hows stereo outputs. I had to add a line to a root owned file to get the analogue 5.1 to be recognized in the settings.

Mint i 55% downloaded so will wait for that an have a play tonight, and possibly tomorrow. fingers crossed

Again, thank you so much for you help, i would have gone insane otherwise
wardy277 Wrote:That is really good news. So the problem is software, and that i can play with. Its quire frustrating not knowing whats wrong and if you have purchased the wrong product.

Does mint have a better audio configuration than ubuntu? I dont get why ubuntu only hows stereo outputs. I had to add a line to a root owned file to get the analogue 5.1 to be recognized in the settings.

Mint i 55% downloaded so will wait for that an have a play tonight, and possibly tomorrow. fingers crossed

Again, thank you so much for you help, i would have gone insane otherwise

OK, so the Zotac HD-ID11 can output up to 7.1 sound via HDMI. It'll also output 2.0, 2.1 whatever. I have configured it to do so using XBMC as that's the key use I have for my HD-ID11. Check out http://www.contentwhores.com/wordpress/?page_id=484 for step-by-step instructions on how to do this.
@contentwhores
why did you use xswat, doesnt that introduce memory leaks, or is that only for ati cards (speaking from experience).
Is this to get the latest verson of nvideo drivers? as i manualy installed the bin file from their website (version 260)

I also, have the latest alsa drivers (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23) do i not ned to compile manualy and run alsaconf as i dont have alsaconf
wardy277 Wrote:@contentwhores
why did you use xswat, doesnt that introduce memory leaks, or is that only for ati cards (speaking from experience).

I've had no issues with memory leaks on the Zotac that I can discern after a week of use...

Quote:Is this to get the latest verson of nvideo drivers? as i manualy installed the bin file from their website (version 260)

Exactly. Sure, you can download and install manually, I just wanted to document an approach that was all command-line in a terminal, that could be copied-and-pasted for n00bs to use. If you have recent (260) drivers then they should work fine, I've tested the build instructions on the blog with a few recent sub-versions of 260 and they've worked fine.

Quote:I also, have the latest alsa drivers (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23) do i not ned to compile manualy and run alsaconf as i dont have alsaconf

alsaconf is part of alsa-utils; when you download, compile (./configure, make, make install) the alsa-utils 1.0.23 package it installs alsaconf and alsamixer. I didn't think it prudent to mix-and-match versions hence why I download and install the driver, lib and utils one after the other.

For sure there are other ways to do this but I found this worked in a consistent, repeatable manner - which is important for a guide for people not as knowledgeable as yourself. There are many ways to skin a cat though Smile
dude.. all you had to do is add

plughw:0,3 in custom for audio settings.. defaults or anything else wouldn't work...

you were supposed to run aplay -l (that is lower case l)

for example, my output looks like this:

Code:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1

If i want to output audio over HDMI i use "plughw:0,3"
if i want to output audio over optical i use "plughw:0,1"

the device number above is the key...
Hi,

maybe i can help

1. Getting 5.1/DTS other something other than stereo from the optical out of the TV doesn't work but you already found that out yourself Wink

2. I have a Zotac ION board and had the same problem with digital out via optical or coax, at first i only had stereo and sometimes no sound at all. What Alsa Driver Version do you use? 1.0.23 is current that didn't work for me try to install the 1.0.22 and unmute all die digital outs.

I'm not the best when it comes to Ubuntu so i have to helpt you with a link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810
Thanks for that, that helped me get it working, at least to a greater degree than it was.

There seem to be some weird drop-outs that occur when skipping fwd & back, pausing etc. Any clues?
isaidi Wrote:dude.. all you had to do is add

plughw:0,3 in custom for audio settings.. defaults or anything else wouldn't work...

you were supposed to run aplay -l (that is lower case l)

for example, my output looks like this:

Code:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1

If i want to output audio over HDMI i use "plughw:0,3"
if i want to output audio over optical i use "plughw:0,1"

the device number above is the key...

You haven't removed pulse audio?
What settings in ubuntu did you set?
Pneumatic | SABnzbd | XBMC that just works - openelec
kbrookes Wrote:Thanks for that, that helped me get it working, at least to a greater degree than it was.

There seem to be some weird drop-outs that occur when skipping fwd & back, pausing etc. Any clues?

Is your issue similar to mine?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86396

Not much attention on this.....
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10873

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ION 5.1 optical/HDMI/passthrough0