[LIVE] Changing the name XBMClive to something else on the network?
I am having conflicts on my Windows computer seeing all 3 of my XBMClive in networks. If I have one of my XBMClive's turned on, I see it in my networks. When I turn another one on, it will not show up in my Networks until I have shut the other one off.

I am thinking that it is having an issue with the names of each being all the same but am not sure. Could this be possible? If so, where do I need to go into to change their names?
You need to open /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts in your text editor of choice and replace 'XBMCLive' with the desired name.
ai4g Wrote:You need to open /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts in your text editor of choice and replace 'XBMCLive' with the desired name.

Thanks.

So at terminal, I could do

Sudo nano /etc/hostname

and edit there, and then

sudo nano /etc/hosts

and edit the same there? Or do would I have to do something different?
That should do it.
u can change Hostname by typing
Code:
sudo hostname newname
to display current hostname simply type
Code:
hostname
in terminal
I made the changes last night. Now my router sees all 3 as "XBMCupstairs" "XBMCdownstairs" and "XBMClive" in the DCHP clients list, but I can not get windows vista to see more than one at a time in "network", and one of them never shows.

I ran a program last night that is suppose to show the master browser and all computers visible on the lan. How to Determine the Master Browser in a Windows Workgroup and it never showed up there either.

It is on the network, and it functions fine. But I don't understand why it won't show up.

I want to investigate more, but not sure what direction to go now that it doesn't seem to be a name conflict.
fuqu Wrote:u can change Hostname by typing
Code:
sudo hostname newname
to display current hostname simply type
Code:
hostname
in terminal

You'll still need to edit /etc/hosts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Changing the name XBMClive to something else on the network?0