Start XBMC without Desktop environment (Xubuntu)
hello!

my first post Smile but reading here in this forum for a long time...

i installed XBMC-pvr-testing2 with VDR / VNSI on Xubuntu 10.04.
now it seems, that all works perfect, but i don't want to start desktop environment in xubuntu and then autostart xbmc.

how it's possible to avoid starting desktop environment in ubuntu and direct start XBMC? like in xbmc-live...
furthermore i should have the possibiltiy to come back into bash (strg+alt+F2??) end then start the desktop environment - if needed...

tried the search, but as an linux noob, wrong search phrases could have been the problem...

thanks for your help!!

rodnheli
Hi,

Download "xbmc-standalone", then choose xbmc as session at the login screen.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Depending on what distro your running, check the forums. For Ubuntu, there are lots of guides written. One option is to install the minimal Ubuntu installation on a machine....and then install XBMC....and use a script to make it auto boot by putting it in 'init.d'..... there is information on how to do this on the Wiki Wink
you can have a look here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86404
or there is many more info here on forum
thanks for your replies!

took this guidance: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53812 for autologin and changed some pathes to fit for ubuntu 10.04 (/event.d/tty1 to /init/tty1.conf)

to avoid starting xfce-desktop i had to rename /etc/init/gdm.conf into "gdm.conf.noexec". because "GDM" was already disabled in rcconf but xfce desktop started anyway.

regards,
rodnheli

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Start XBMC without Desktop environment (Xubuntu)0