HTPC first-time build suggestions (pre-built or Revo?)
Hi all,

I've been scanning through all the posts but not seeing a clear picture emerge about the best route for me. I used XBMC a long time ago with the original Xbox and loved it, but gave it up when it couldn't do HD content. I switched to an WDTVLive, which has been OK, but I sorely miss the awesomeness of XBMC. Time to go back!

I plan to run Win7 with the latest XBMC build, and don't need to convert bluray, play games, or anything else too CPU-intensive on there. I can't do the Linux route because I haven't learned how to tinker there yet, but i'm comfortable building my own PC. I might try dual-boot Win7/XBMCLive, but i have a feeling the Win7 setup might be all I need.

A few more specifics: I don't have an AV receiver, but I do have an HDMI plasma. (So, no special audio setup, but will consider that in the future). I have ethernet running to my WDTVlive now, so I'd like gigabit ethernet. I would love for the box to be quiet/low power consumption. I mostly play 720p, but would like 1080p support. I don't much care how it looks, except for size. I will likely be always running my main Windows desktop which has tons of internal hdd space to serve as the media source for this box.

A few specific questions:
Should I Newegg build it, or is the Revo 3700 just as good/cheap as anything I could construct? Or is there something more highly recommended than the Revo? The Zotac boxes also look interesting, but their website gives me an overwhelming 15 different options. I would love to build my own, but also don't want to necessarily have to do major troubleshooting because of some wonky combination of BIOS/chipset/etc not producing HDMI audio or whatever. That makes me think about going the Revo/Zotac route, but maybe i'm just needlessly worrying and should just grab a couple Newegg items.

If building it:
2gb vs. 4gb RAM? Any need to go 4?
i3 550 vs. ION, if I don't need to encode or do anything but stream/decode?
Suggestions for Mini-ITX case?
I don't need a separate vidcard, right?
Suggestions for a remote?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Have a look at the new S1-AT5NM10E barebone from Asus.

ION has everything you need for XBMC, including videocard. Use little power and possible fanless. If you get a barebone/case with without a remote, get a MCE remote. Can not see the reason for 4GB on a media center, but the difference is just $20-30
Thanks! Just checked out your recommendation, but not quite sure when it will be available in the US. How well does it compare to the currently-available ASUS AT5IONT-I?

I guess the i3 and 4GB are perhaps recommendations I read from posts discussing a need for gaming or additional functionality. I really just plan to make this a streaming box.

I'm surprised that I don't hear about more specific builds from people in general, either here or at Newegg-- I have been trolling Newegg looking for people to say "I love mobo A + CPU B + case C for my XBMC HTPC!" I wonder if there's just too much of a variety of options for any clear setup to emerge as a favorite. Or if the Revo/Zotac options handle so much of the market that there isn't much of a reason to customize it onesself.

Anyhow, thanks again for the response!!
prentice Wrote:I really just plan to make this a streaming box.

ANY ION system is perfect for you then.

Thanks poofyhairguy. I'm also exploring your i3/GT430/SSD threads, which sound tempting, but hard for me to understand the specific gains over an ION pre-built. Perhaps it is more about future-proofing? Or is the issue about adding storage not much of an option for ION builds? Are ION systems slower in menu-navigation of XMBC?

Related-- for this kind of HTPC, is the main difference between mini-ITX and micro-ATX basically an issue of a question of whether or not the case will need to hold additional hard drives?

This mini-ITX case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811154091) saves me over a $100 over the admittedly much nicer Lian-Li microATX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112186), but I'm unclear about the limitations. Can I still fit a low-profile GT 430 in the former, if i go the i3 route?

Sorry for rambling, the latest release of XBMC just got me excited to return to it, and I am hoping to have time over xmas to set this all up before returning to work. Will be glad to sell or retire the WDTVLive.
Actually I'm thinking I should just repurpose an older PC of mine, even if it is currently sitting in a bulky Lian-Li PC60. I forget what CPU it has, but certainly something powerful enough for this.

BUT, I will need to get a new video card, as none of my old ones have HDMI support.
Does this seem like a good option?
ASUS ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP) GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121397)

I think I might do the low-profile option so that down the line I might move it to a smaller case.

I also think I'll add an SSD for rapid XBMC navigation, which I can find in other threads.

This won't be a low-power option, but I guess it'll suffice as a stopgap. Will probably even move all my hdds and torrent setup over to this box. Just hope the significant other doesn't mind the hulking silver beast with blue glowing lights sitting next to the TV. Smile

Edit: Random HDMI-noob question- I know HDMI can carry audio+video, but if I were just to add this video card to an old computer, will the audio get passed through the video card to the TV over HDMI? I don't exactly know how I would push the audio to the TV. Again, I don't have any AV receiver, so it would just either be over HDMI or through RCA cables or something like that. I hope it wouldn't be a 1/8" headphone jack -> RCA solution, but I don't know the real answer.
prentice Wrote:Thanks! Just checked out your recommendation, but not quite sure when it will be available in the US. How well does it compare to the currently-available ASUS AT5IONT-I?

I guess the i3 and 4GB are perhaps recommendations I read from posts discussing a need for gaming or additional functionality. I really just plan to make this a streaming box.

I'm surprised that I don't hear about more specific builds from people in general, either here or at Newegg-- I have been trolling Newegg looking for people to say "I love mobo A + CPU B + case C for my XBMC HTPC!" I wonder if there's just too much of a variety of options for any clear setup to emerge as a favorite. Or if the Revo/Zotac options handle so much of the market that there isn't much of a reason to customize it onesself.

Anyhow, thanks again for the response!!

The S1 barebone is available in Norway at $200. The At5iont + case and PSU will cost about the same, but it has no IR, Bluetooth or Wifi. Cabinet choice is subjective; price, size, number of disks and drives and so on. I got one that has the possibility to mount a 120mm fan, but the ITX is a standard that every producer follows. This was critical to me as I am allergic to fan noise; anything above 15db is too loud. The Asrock is "whisper quiet" at 25db and the Zbox sounds like an Xbox, which is the case with every slim pre-configured setup.
Excellent, thanks for the additional details, Torroa!
Hi Guys - lots of great info here and very close to system I would like.

I mostly stream, but now have HD plasma so old xbox no longer cuts it.
Also I am streaming 720p or 1080P mkvs, but kids watch occasional dvd's and we listen to a lot of music.
I currently have all my music on xbox connected to stereo. This would stay. ie probably wouldn't stream music but have it stored locally.

I would also include:
slimline BD combo drive
HDMI 1.4a support (as I have a 3d tv)
Full DTS support.
Audio pass-through (if possible)

Also quiet is highly prefferred

I have had a lot of trouble finding out if motherboards have hdmi 1.4a and full DTS support.

Quite happy building my own or off the shelf.

Do any of the suggestions above meet this or any recommendations please?
Thanks heaps Smile

EDIT
Found this. Very informative.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC first-time build suggestions (pre-built or Revo?)0