Cannot install XBMC Live on Acer Revo R3610
Question 
Hi.

I used UNetbootin to create a bootable USB stick from xbmc-10.0-live.iso on 3 different sticks now.
Sometimes there was no "Install XBMC Live" item in the menu (just the "Default" item), some times it was, but when I pressed enter on this item nothing happens, just the menu is showing again, the same applies for all other entries except for default which starts the Ubuntu installation and ends up because of the missing CD drive.

I have never had such problems when I booted from a stick with the old 9.11 Live version. Just tested it again with one of the sticks and everything's fine.

Also tried this with an SD card (reformatted) without success.

So how can I install XBMC Live 10 to the disk?
Is there something I missed? :confused2:
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
I have also had this problem, very frustrating.

I resolved the issue by taking the Revo to work roday and borrowing an external USB CD ROM.

I installed the new XBMC from CD ROM.

As an aside, after installing XBMC from CD ROM i can't get my Revo on the network. I'll be starting a new post for this additional problem.

So to list the issues so far:

1. Does not install correctly from the Live USB installer.
2. Can't get Revo on the network after installing the latest version.

Not looking good is it hehe
1)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80049
2)
make sure you are connected to wired network during installation and complete the auto config
Bootable Disk Wizard: "This script is supposed to be run only from within XBMCLive."

So how shall this work when XBMCLive does not start at all?

I have just installed XBMCLive 9.11 to disk and updated to 10.0 without any issues.

But the point is that there seems to be something wrong with the new Live ISO.
Sony KD-65A1
Quote:So how shall this work when XBMCLive does not start at all?
On another computer with a CD player, at least thats the general idea. It is also possible to boot the iso in a virtual machine but thats a bit more complex.

I am not sure why the live iso is so problematic in unebootin and other tools, perhaps there is a standard for these things and xbmc is not following it. In that case I guess you can argue that it is something wrong with it.

BTW, did you use the latest version of uneboot? I read something about that and I also saw saw some workaround but it was much more complex that using the wizard.

I acutally tried to setup a PXE installer for xbmc but it didnt work, the closest I came was to put the installer on a partition on the HD and then install from there. Either way a PXE server would also require you to boot a CD on another computer.
Ok, maybe try that out later.

In the meantime I managed to set up my Revo to my needs (installed 9.11, restored databases and thumbnails from a backup, installed pureftp, updated nVidia drivers, updated to XBMC 10 and so on...).
Runs very smoothly now without any issues, as the previous installation did until yesterday when XBMC failed to start due to some issues with an addon probably, so I thought: Well, this is the right time for XBMCLive 10 from scratch.

I would still like to know if anyone could boot from a USB stick prepared with unetbootin and install XBMCLive to disk.
Sony KD-65A1
Quote:I would still like to know if anyone could boot from a USB stick prepared with unetbootin and install XBMCLive to disk.
This guy does
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88369
All worked fine for me using a USB stick and a revo.

Is your version of unetbootin the latest version?
Yes, it's the recent Windows version from here:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

What Revo do you have? R3610, too?

vikjon0 Wrote:This guy does

Yep, saw this thread after I had installed my Revo from XBMCLive 9.11.

Maybe I will try if his tutorial also applies to an R3610 Wink
Sony KD-65A1
Bobby Blixberg Wrote:I would still like to know if anyone could boot from a USB stick prepared with unetbootin and install XBMCLive to disk.

worked perfectly the first time for me. just had to edit the audio settings.
dsmuk Wrote:All worked fine for me using a USB stick and a revo.

Is your version of unetbootin the latest version?

I had all kinds of audio issues when I installed on Revo 3610 using unetbootin. For one when I would go in and unmute all the audio channels in alsamixer, save the settings and then reboot it would revert back to the original settings with everything muted. I ended up burning to a CD and booting off of external DVD drive and everything worked like a champ. In doing some research I found a lot of related articles to installing things like windows and other operating systems off of USB Flash drives and the issues actually don't point to unetbootin but instead to the FLASH DRIVE that you are using. The issue is that some of these cheaper flash drives will write files to your drive with files having an attribute of READ ONLY so that when you go into "live" files and make changes or the system tries to make changes to the file the inherent "read only" prevents this.

HP and San Disk Flash Drives appear to be the most consistent for installing drive images so if you are using an off-brand flash you might wanna consider just borrowing a USB DVD Drive and going that route.

Hope this helps!
Unfortunately not - I tried this with 3 different flash drives (SanDisk Cruzer micro 8GB, SanDisk Cruzer micro U3 8GB, NoName 2GB) and a SanDisk SD card 2GB in a Hama card reader.
All this SanDisk devices have no issues when booting everything else than XBMCLive, and all the drives have the same issue on 4 different computers with XBMC Live 10 (including the Acer Revo R3610), so it is very likely there is something wrong with the Live versions, both from XBMC.org as from XBMC freaks.

I also tried this:

vikjon0 Wrote:This guy does

So I'm very happy that my current installation based on 9.11 and updated to 10.0 is still working like it should.

Next I try to get hold of an external CD/DVD drive...

EDIT: Remembered an over 10 years old external enclosure and finally managed to create a bootable USB stick with the Wizard that comes with XBMC Live 10 - now everything works like a charm.
Sony KD-65A1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot install XBMC Live on Acer Revo R36100