[WIP] Minimal - In Love with Fanart
Hey!

I like many of the available skins 'you' made. Aeon is one of my favourites! But I always disliked 2 things:
  • Single Elements are too big
  • There is too much info

I'd like to see as much as possible of my fanarts and movies. Transperency! is a great skin but still hides too much.

So this is why I want to create a theme without many functions or info-labels. Just the stuff I feel I need it to display (:

Maybe there are some people who think like me.

Main-Screen

ListView (active element in the middle)
-

CoverFlow (active element in the middle)
-

Any thoughts, wishes, ideas, complaints, questions, ....... ?
Space for an unknown future
reminds me a little of MiniMedia http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51836
I like it, how have you set up the plot?

Does it auto show up after certain time or is it done on keypress? So in the movies view you press the left arrow to access the info.
supertom44 Wrote:I like it, how have you set up the plot?

Does it auto show up after certain time or is it done on keypress? So in the movies view you press the left arrow to access the info.

Good point. What you have to press to access which infos/menus should be as intuitive as possible. Even if the user does not have experience with XBMC. I will redo some parts with this thought in mind.

In a very minimal design in my opinion no Plot/extra Info is shown unless the user asks for it.. In most designs you have to press I to view the info right? I will stick to that 'standard'.
I cant recall what skin it is but there is one that has a view called right list, just a list down the right hand side. In order to get access to the info you simply press right on your remote or keyboard.

Night has something similar in a view called slide where you press down, as its a horizontal view, to display the plot.

I agree for a skin like this where fanart is the focus not plot should be shown unless you "ask" for it.

I think going down the direction route is best, could just be me but find it more intuitive and easier to use, to simply be able to press a single direction to get the info.
supertom44 Wrote:I think going down the direction route is best, could just be me but find it more intuitive and easier to use, to simply be able to press a single direction to get the info.

I agree (:

So what I did now is, I tried to concept all navigations that way, that you can get very far with direction-keys only.

In the main-menu I thought it like this:
Go up and down until you get where you want (e.g. Movies). Click enter and you get there.. If you click the right-arrow-key a Submenu appears and the arrow in the middle points to the opposite position. You can go up und down again. When you right-click in recent movies you are able to select 1 of the 6 most recent movies (In the example the fockers-movie). Press left to go back as much as you want.
Pressing left in the main-selection and you get into the shutdown-menu. (In the example below Shutdown is hovered)
In Settings you are able to choose your favourite color, or to let it show random fanarts.

For the movies ListView you open the info with right and close it with left. In the info-view you can go up and down to change the fanart/thumb/etc.

-

Do you think the symbolic arrows make it clear enough what you can do?

Was this a step forward or backward?

Thanks for your feedback!
The first thing that springs to mind is that
fonts are way to small - no one could read anything without sitting
3 inches away from their lcd tv Wink
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
I like what you've done with the home screen think it works well.

My only concern with the arrows is one it looks like a play button, may confuse some people.

I'm wondering if you need an indicator at all? Ok so it makes it easier for people to navigate but could quite easily leave info like that for the Introduction post when you release the skin if you want to keep it really minimal.

Dont think an arrow is needed for going back from info, I'd imagine if people press right to bring it up they will either try right again or hit left to get back.

You could use "..." instead of an arrow for the movies view although might look a little strange as if the the title is too long or something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Minimal - In Love with Fanart0