Old and dusty Compaq
Hi all,

I want to get rid of an old Xbox downstairs running XBMC for something that can run HD content. All the content is streamed via ethernet to the compaq. The specs for the machine are: Compaq Evo D500 Desktop PC, Pentium 4 2GHz, 768MB Ram Memory. I got rid of the onboard graphics and bought a PNY Technologies nVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Graphics Card - 512MB, PCI, VGA/DVI-I
I installed windows XP on the machine as it runs quite well on it. I then installed the latest XBMC, this is where my troubles start. First off scanning my library in takes ages, though my collection is huge with over 4500 movies and 150 shows. It took about 30 hours (My files have been done with media companion for NFO's, fanart etc). The first thing I noticed as the library database got larger is that XBMC takes about 10 seconds to get to browse all the movies. Secondly the movie thumbs and fanart are not instant when browsing.
As far as the movie playback goes the SD and 720p stuff play but is not totally smooth. I know the graphics card isnt the best but I thought it would be good enough for the job. I tried playing a 1080p movie and it wasnt having it at all it was dropping frames constantly. Although it doesnt matter that much as I only have a handful of 1080p stuff.

I just want to be able to play everything and be able to browse my library properly with no stuttering or waiting for things to load. Not being able to play 1080p I can live with.

So...

1. Am I whipping a dead horse here and just go out and buy myself a shuttle or Zotac or Apple TV?

Is it the RAM thats the problem? I could up the RAM to 2 gigs.

Maybe its the OS Windows XP thats sapping out the resources? Would installing Linux or XBMC Live solve the problem? I have never dabbled in either one but will do so if necessary. I just hope the learning curve isnt too steep and finding drivers will be straight forward.

I Hope someone can shine some light Huh
The newest version of XBMC does not support hardware acceleration on WinXP. You will either need to upgrade to Win7 or install Live.

I would also make sure that you have 2gigs of RAM (at least with windows7).
I have a similar setup that has now been inherited by my parents. Old p4 system with a 8400gs PCI graphic card. Originally I installed XP but had the same results as you when playing 1080p content. The solution was to install XBMC Live... which was also eventually install permanently on the hard drive. You might want to give a live CD/USB stick a go, plus backing up your library might be an idea as well!

Oh... 1Gb will be fine in XBMC under Linux, don't think I've ever seen is use half that.
Rastan Wrote:Maybe its the OS Windows XP thats sapping out the resources? Would installing Linux or XBMC Live solve the problem?

Yes and yes. I can confirm that your system can play almost anything in XBMC Live, but in any other OS it will struggle.

XBMC Live is easy IF you will just give the whole machine over to it and dedicate it to be an appliance. If you are willing to do that run through the installer, check the default options, blow away the XP partition and enjoy.

If you have any hopes of using that system for something other than XBMC, time to look at a new system.

Thanks for all the replies! Big Grin

I will give XBMC Live a shot. Judging from you guys I will see an improvement.
I don't need the PC to surf the net or anything like that. I'll take the plunge and spend £50 on 2 Gigs of RAM and my ancient PC will have new life again.

Thanks for all the advice again, you have all saved me some money! Nod
Save your cash, if your only running live you dont need that much memory. I’m running live on p4 with PCI gfx with only 512Mb problem free. Just had a quick look with a 1080p trailer playing and the memory in use is just under 300Mb!!
AppleTV + Linux (not live) here. 256MB of RAM total, and it plays 1080p. You shouldn't need much RAM just to test out Live.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Old and dusty Compaq0