Slight UI tweak for remote control users
At the moment, unless I'm mistaken and if so someone please correct me, the only way to get back to currently playing video from the home menu is the 'switch between visualisation and video' key binding. This raises problems for people using XBMC with remote-controlls

Here's an example. I'm watching a DVD, when I remember I need to go post some letter. So hit the 'backspace' key on my remote, and go back to the home page to check the weather forecast. Whoops, now I can't get back to video since my remote only has limited buttons per function, so the 'switch between visualisation and video' key binding was never on there as it really doesn't map onto a logical button. So I have to go root out the keyboard, or mouse, to get back to my video.

As a user interface fix, I suggest using the same UI convention from other systems. When you get back to the home menu, hitting the 'parent directory' keybinding should pop you back into what ever is playing.

Yes, this breaks the idea of the home-menu being the root of a directory of functions. But the rest state of XBMC should probably be media playback, not a menu.
I'd also consider creating a new item, 'Now Playing' that is selectable from the home menu, and has the function of switching to the currently playing media. This would be for growing number of systems who's remote consist of four arrow keys, 'ok' and 'menu'.
On some remotes hitting BACK does exactly that - it's simply a matter of keymapping.

Which remote are you using, and which default keymap is it using?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:On some remotes hitting BACK does exactly that - it's simply a matter of keymapping.

I meant to post about this as well. I'm using the original Xbox DVD dongle in Windows.

Everything else works great, but no remote button seems to take you back to the video if your 2 yr. old accidentally hits the Backspace key on the keyboard.

Shocked
On my xbox org remote if i push the "display" button when in fullscreen
i go back to main menu, hitting "display" button again takes me back to fullscreen video. No special keymapping done on my side...
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
jmarshall Wrote:On some remotes hitting BACK does exactly that - it's simply a matter of keymapping.

Windows Media Center remote, default out of the box.

If there is a specific keymap function that handles this in a way that makes sense, it would be nice to know which one it is, and it might be better to assign that to backspace rather than the current one.

Also, I'd say this should be default behaviour, not requiring editing of xml files. Getting stuck at the Home screen does appear to be a usability problem.
The-Boxhead Wrote:On my xbox org remote if i push the "display" button when in fullscreen
i go back to main menu, hitting "display" button again takes me back to fullscreen video. No special keymapping done on my side...

Thanks Boxhead,

This works great.

I wasn't really using the original remote, just the original Xbox dongle with my Yamaha receiver remote, which doesn't emulate the display button.

I used EventGhost to map another button to the XBMC action "DISPLAY" and it works great now.

Thanks for the tip.

-Wes
I like the Now Playing idea. =)
Glad to be of some help Smile
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Since some of us don't have remotes with spare keys to remap, could we have the logical function of 'parent directory' bound to 'display' when at the home screen. This would result in the desired functionality.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slight UI tweak for remote control users0