Which Speaker set looks best?
Honestly, for the price of the Sony HTIB that Poofy posted... why not go with that?!

For $200 you can have a Sony system much more capable (ships from Vanns). I know you are in Canada, so I am not sure how much this would cost you.

To be honest, I strongly believe that you get what you pay for with hardware. I think it is better to go for the best quality you can afford for your budget. The better brands and technology will last longer into the future and will provide the best bang for your buck in the long run. Especially with home theater audio, why buy a POS system and have crappy sound?!
maxinc

Your not entirely correct you still need a DTS and Dolby decoder to process the DTS or AC3 this has nothing to do with the DAC
You're perfectly right! I probably left it out since most amps / speaker sets with a digital input that I can think of can usually decode DD and DTS, except of course, most of the TV's that can only handle DD.
eskro Wrote:Which 5.1 Speakers looks best between...?

#1 (FS-5015)

#2 (FS-5030)

#3 (FS 5007)

thanks
Don't go for looks alone. It's like deciding to buy a house because you like the color of the paint.

Instead, opt for something like the Logitech Z5500, even if you have to buy them used.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
thanks for all your replied guys!

that Logitech Z5500 looks interesting, but here in Canada,
things are always pricier... would cost me $325 + Shipping...
Far away from the $200 you guys pay in the US....

I've never been an audiophile...
meaning, i barely know stuff about Audio and how it works..
but now i understand better...

Speakers need an ANALOGUE signal to be able to make you hear the sound

which means you need a DigitalAnalogueConverter to do exactly that...
i believe pc audio cards and Audio/Video Receivers have that by default....
But not all Surround Sound System Packages have that....

Now the best way i understand is to avoid doing the conversion
using a motherboards built-in audio card
and buy a Audio/Video Receiver to do the job instead...
for many reasons like better connectivity and avoid interference....

Now i have to be careful when buying an A/V Receiver
because it must be able to convert/decode DolbyDigital and DTS signals to ANALOGUE...
probably most do by now but, gotta keep that in mind...

That being said, i can't buy a sound system with A/V Receiver right now i guess...
my wallet cant afford paying $325+ just for the sound....
sucks... life is hard...
An A/V Receiver + nice set of speakers is the ultimate goal in home entertainment but as you may guess, it will be a lot pricier than a Home Theatre package like the one Poofy sugested or the Z5500. These later options are great as a stepping stone on the AV ladder.

Once you get into the realm of A/V Receivers, there is a whole new dimension and lots of things to consider like channels and inputs, HD audio, video upscaling, HDMI version and many more.

A final word on the Z5500 is that I've bought mine 5 years ago for the same amount it sells today, so it holds it's value pretty well over time. Personally I love it so much that I decided to keep it as a 2.1 desktop system after I upgraded my speaker package.
BTW, I bought the Sony HT-SS370 system over the holidays at Best Buy in Canada for 250$. (during boxing week).

Its well worth it.

Its currently going for 299$ at Best Buy and 279$ at Futurshop.

You might even find it cheaper else where if you dig a little.
eskro Wrote:thanks for all your replied guys!

that Logitech Z5500 looks interesting, but here in Canada,
things are always pricier... would cost me $325 + Shipping...
Far away from the $200 you guys pay in the US....

I've never been an audiophile...
meaning, i barely know stuff about Audio and how it works..
but now i understand better...

Speakers need an ANALOGUE signal to be able to make you hear the sound

which means you need a DigitalAnalogueConverter to do exactly that...
i believe pc audio cards and Audio/Video Receivers have that by default....
But not all Surround Sound System Packages have that....

Now the best way i understand is to avoid doing the conversion
using a motherboards built-in audio card
and buy a Audio/Video Receiver to do the job instead...
for many reasons like better connectivity and avoid interference....

Now i have to be careful when buying an A/V Receiver
because it must be able to convert/decode DolbyDigital and DTS signals to ANALOGUE...
probably most do by now but, gotta keep that in mind...

That being said, i can't buy a sound system with A/V Receiver right now i guess...
my wallet cant afford paying $325+ just for the sound....
sucks... life is hard...
I am in Canada, too, and when I bought the Z5500's brand new a few years ago I paid $199 at Future Shop, brand new. You'll find them on sale sometime I'm sure. Otherwise, browse Kijiji or RedFlagDeals to see if anyone is selling them.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
i checked everywhere but currently, here in Canada, i have to pay $300+ for them,,,

so at the $300 mark, i think i should maybe go with this model

Sony 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System (HTSS370) ($279 local store) http://ow.ly/1rZPt6
eskro Wrote:i checked everywhere but currently, here in Canada, i have to pay $300+ for them,,,

so at the $300 mark, i think i should maybe go with this model

Sony 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System (HTSS370) ($279 local store) http://ow.ly/1rZPt6

Great choice. My sony system really sounds good.

Sony 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System (HTSS370)

** 3 HDMI Inputs + 1 HDMI Output
** wireless remote control
** decodes DD and DTS
** 1000W Total System Power
** 2-Way Centre/Front/Rear Speakers

Thats a winner!!!
Using this method you can rip Blu Rays to mkv that fully utilize the HDMI port on that system:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198879

but the Sony 5.1 HTSS370 doesn't decode DTS-HD MASTER nor DOLBY TRUE-HD...

* checks if MediaPlayerClassic can send it to the HTSS3370 already decoded
No, but if you can send 5.1/7.1 PCM to the Sony and it will play those fine. You will loose some of the dynamics, but it will still be a lot better than compressed Dolby or DTS.
eskro Wrote:but the Sony 5.1 HTSS370 doesn't decode DTS-HD MASTER nor DOLBY TRUE-HD...

XBMC can decode True-HD, and the guide above decodes DTS-HD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Speaker set looks best?0