Accessing SMB Share via Direct Ethernet Connection
Question 
Hi Everyone,

I'm having a small problem with accessing SMB shares over a direct ethernet connection to my media pc from an AppleTV2 (i dont think its a specific atv2 problem though). When connected directly to the machine I can successfully browse to a network share, but when I try and access said share i get this mesage:

Remote Share
Network is not connected.

select Add Source -> Windows Network (SMB) -> Browse -> [Workgroup] -> [Machine] -> [share] {add the share}

Video -> Select Source -> [Share] -> Error Message

At first i thought this was a DNS/WINS issue so i manually entered in the shares path replacing the machine name with its IP Address and still no luck. I get the above message.

I can ping both machines that are connected directly to each other, I can browse the windows shares.

I have tested with the machines indirectly connected (through router) and have had no problems (apart from the odd buffer).

Any thoughts?
Dont browse for it. Add a network location.
FishOil Wrote:Dont browse for it. Add a network location.

That's what I would do. Assuming you know the name of the server and share select the "Add network location ..." open (note that that you need to scroll the list up to see this option).

JR
didnt make a difference doing it that way. it adds it fine, but when trying to look at any videos on the share i get the error message. it wont let me open the source.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing SMB Share via Direct Ethernet Connection0