Can i get xbmc to ignore *.dat files (creating duplicates in library mode)
hi guys, this is a bit of a repost from a few months ago. I've been using a temporary solution which isn't good enough for me really so i want to get to the botom of it.

i'm running v10 on win 7. Last night i went through all my video files and removed the dat files / nfo etc to stop duplicates showing up. However, utorrent seems to recreate some dat files and as such, when i restart xbmc and it autoscans for new content, i get a few duplicates due to these new dat files.

I tried creating an advanced settings.xml file with the following:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<excludefromscan action="append">
<regexp>(~uTorrentPartFile)</regexp>
</excludefromscan>
<excludefromlisting action="append">
</excludefromlisting>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

...but it didn't make any difference...

Also, i don't really want to delete these dat files as it screws up seeding of torrents, so just ignoring them and making xbmc not use them is far preferable.

how do i get xbmc to ignore these files? many thanks for any help offered.
snowy Wrote:hi guys, this is a bit of a repost from a few months ago. I've been using a temporary solution which isn't good enough for me really so i want to get to the botom of it.

i'm running v10 on win 7. Last night i went through all my video files and removed the dat files / nfo etc to stop duplicates showing up. However, utorrent seems to recreate some dat files and as such, when i restart xbmc and it autoscans for new content, i get a few duplicates due to these new dat files.

I tried creating an advanced settings.xml file with the following:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
</excludefromscan>
</excludefromlisting>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

...but it didn't make any difference...

Also, i don't really want to delete these dat files as it screws up seeding of torrents, so just ignoring them and making xbmc not use them is far preferable.

how do i get xbmc to ignore these files? many thanks for any help offered.

I have a solution that involves moving a copy to a separate folder for processing/ inclusion in XBMC, and then having uTorrent call a separate program to rip out the original torrent and file when it's done seeding.

Upside = you hit your seeding requirement for private tracks, completely automated.

Downside = until you're done seeding/ reached your day limit of seeding set in uTorrent, you'll have two copies of the file.

Is that something you might be interested in?
hi, i appreciate the response, but to be honest i'd rather not have to limit how much the files are seeded in this way.

at present, i'm wasting A LOT of hard disk space by having 2 HD movie directories. One which i download to which has the dat files etc for seeding, and one exactly the same movies but without the dat files so that it doesn't screw up xbmc. Upside of this i suppose is that i'm getting some sort of backup, but it's not the sort of backup i want really.

so is there really no proper solution to this problem? I'm amazed that the dev team can't even implement an 'ignore non video files in library mode' type button (apologies in advance if for some reason this is difficult)
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ensions.3E
No worries - I found the previous forum thread where it looks like some other folks did have it working, so we'll definitely need to see the debug log.

Can you enable debugging, close out xbmc (cleans out log), open up XBMC, and follow your exact steps to duplicate the problem - and then upload the pastebin link for us?

On that old forum thread, it looks like you were having problem running down the log. If still an issue, here's how: http://snipsnip.it/af8nubt67h7/

And then after you duplicate the problem - here's how to send yourself the link to pastebin (which you can then put in here)

http://snipsnip.it/ar2z042melc/

Cheers!
FishOil Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ensions.3E

ok, this looks promising, but i'm still having trouble. Is there any chance you'd be so kind as to tell me what to do?

steppedup - will do that too, thanks
ok, so i enabled logging, quit, planted a couple of torrent dat files in my media folders, then reopened xbmc and let it autoscan and find the dat files, which it duly added to my media library :/

this was with the <advancedsettings>
<video>
</excludefromscan>
</excludefromlisting>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

..but it's too many characters to copy into here. best easy way to upload the txt file?
snowy Wrote:ok, this looks promising, but i'm still having trouble. Is there any chance you'd be so kind as to tell me what to do?

steppedup - will do that too, thanks

<videoextensions>

A list of additional file-extensions to allow (add) or exclude (remove) in the My Video windows.

These are the current default extensions for VIDEOS:

.m4v .3gp .nsv .ts .ty .strm .rm .rmvb .m3u .ifo .mov .qt .divx .xvid .bivx .vob .nrg .img
.iso .pva .wmv .asf .asx .ogm .m2v .avi .bin .dat .dvr-ms .mpg .mpeg .mp4 .mkv .avc .vp3
.svq3 .nuv .viv .dv .fli .flv .rar .001 .wpl .zip
Code:
<videoextensions>
  <add>.ex1|.ex2</add>
  <remove>.ex3|.ex4</remove>
</videoextensions>

Well I have never had the need to use it but it seems straight forward. In the Advancedsettings.xml file add the items in the code box above.

As in

Code:
<videoextensions>
    <remove>.dat</remove>
</videoextensions>

If you need to remove more than one extension it would appear that you just separate the extensions with a pipe |
yeah, that's what i thought. I'm creating an 'advancedsettings.xml' file in programs\xbmc\userdata into which i'm pasting:

<advancedsettings>
<videoextensions>
<remove>.dat</remove>
</videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

then saving the file, of course Wink

but it's just not working at all. It still picks up new dat files and still fails to remove current ones.

i'm literally thinking it's just not going to work for me. I might just get 2 or 3 2tb wd mybooks and putting them next to my media pc in the living room, and just mirroring the movies that i have to those (but removing the dat / nfo files etc). I suppose that would also make for a good backup scheme as well.
snowy Wrote:ok, so i enabled logging, quit, planted a couple of torrent dat files in my media folders, then reopened xbmc and let it autoscan and find the dat files, which it duly added to my media library :/

this was with the <advancedsettings>
<video>
</excludefromscan>
</excludefromlisting>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

..but it's too many characters to copy into here. best easy way to upload the txt file?

http://pastebin.com - and pop the link back here...cheers!
http://pastebin.com/dDcTRZZ1

thanks...hope someone can make some sense of that Smile
snowy Wrote:http://pastebin.com/dDcTRZZ1

thanks...hope someone can make some sense of that Smile

The log says its not loaded.

You are running windows?

I dont use windows but I read somewhere that the location is supposed to be.

Code:
c:\users\user\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml

That where you have it?
FishOil Wrote:The log says its not loaded.

You are running windows?

I dont use windows but I read somewhere that the location is supposed to be.

Code:
c:\users\user\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml

That where you have it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I didn't have it in that hidden folder. I just did that, with the original code i was given several months ago :

<advancedsettings>
<video>
</excludefromscan>
</excludefromlisting>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

...and it's FINALLY working for me!! Thanks everyone for the help. Woohoo!! Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can i get xbmc to ignore *.dat files (creating duplicates in library mode)0