Backing up the XBMC on AppleTV2
Roums, I believe your explanation will solve the problem I have that I wrote above, great!
I almost did it... I tested before changing only the <path> field, with your explanation I found out that I need also to change the <filenameandpath> field...
Great it worked for you AlessandroSS, and yes you have to change both field as explained in my post.
I think the first one is for XBMC to know where is the file (and to see to which share it corresponds), the second one is important, because it ll be this one used for the hash to create the thumbnails.

Looking at that, i think it is a bit strange that there is nothing in <file></file>, if it was filled, there would be no use for the <filenameandpath> field, but I guess it easier this way for the hash computing.

I am starting to do it again on a larger database with different folders, but the principle remains the same.
Awesome thread! Some of this needs to be added to The FAQ's / info sticky
So I am trying to duplicate a few apple tvs and I am having trouble uploading the backed up XBMC folder via ssh. The transfer starts and then I get "software caused the connection to abort". Searched everywhere and can't find a solution.
slivko626 Wrote:So I am trying to duplicate a few apple tvs and I am having trouble uploading the backed up XBMC folder via ssh. The transfer starts and then I get "software caused the connection to abort". Searched everywhere and can't find a solution.

why not use filezilla or cyberduck to do this. that way you connect and then just drag and drop the files in the correct file folder. very easy to do it this way.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I have two apple tv's. I want to export the databases for each of them and back them up on my work pc harddrive. Where are the databases stored to be able to do this on the atv2? Also is it better to do the whole or seperate when the option comes up? Whats the difference?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
rflores2323
once you ssh in the folder is at /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC (this folder contains ALL settings for xbmc)

the export separate option from within xbmc exports individual data files for the LIBRARY to where each library item is located (so that essentially that data becomes available locally for any other xbmc to read rather than scraping the internet again)
the whole option just creates a folder with all those data files, covers, fan art, etc all together

yeah, i've tried filezilla and winscp to ssh with same results. Can download no problem (folder @ /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC) so I have my backup, but when I try to upload to another apple tv I get the "software caused the connection to abort". It transfers just a couple files then random disconnect error.

Theoretically to create a duplicate apple tvs (once you have one setup) you should just be able to copy that folder, then upload it to as many jailbroken apple tvs with xbmc installed so you dont have to redo everything...that is essentially clone xbmc installations with all program settings and library items.

I am just getting the error when I try to upload the folder/files and I am not sure why.
Is there any way to backup the entire ATV2 device... like I have a lot of bootable USB thumb drives partitioned with 2 or 3 separate partition types (fat, HFS+, ext2) on same thumb drive. In Mac OS, I can backup in Terminal with something like:

sudo dd if=/dev/rdiskX of=/BackupFile.raw bs=51200

Where X above is the thumbdrive mounted. Linux command is similar.

Restoring this backup file, restores all partition and boot systems.

It would be cool if this could be done to the ATV2 as it could restore firmware and all... The trick would be to get the ATV to mount unto something. Even after a firmware restore.

Any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backing up the XBMC on AppleTV20