[AppleTV2] Newbie Questions
Long time XBMC user. First time ATV2 user. I am stoked that my favourite player is coming to such a great piece of inexpensive hardware. I have some questions that aren't in the FAQ. By scouring the forum I think I have answers for most, but I'd like to check. Besides, I'm sure there are others with the same questions. Please let me know if I have any of this wrong.

Currently (31 Jan 11) you have to tether the ATV2 to a Mac each time you start it. This is a side effect of the current jailbreak, although a new version of the jailbreak is in the works that will avoid this.

In order to get simple XBMC ATV2 updates, I need to wait for the iOS code to be merged into the main XBMC source. Is that right? In the mean time, the only way I can see progress is by hacking in new versions as described here. Any idea when and how simpler upgrades are going to be possible? Within XBMC or with a APT-GET?

Is there support for the Mediastream skin in the works?

The current GUI is a bit glitchy and has framerate issues. I assume this is because it's early code and not a shortcoming of the ATV2 hardware?

Support for a fuller IR remote is coming, but not for a while since the ATV2 isn't set up for a fuller IR remote. In the mean time, an iPhone or Android XBMC app will work. Also, holding down MENU on the ATV2 remote brings up the context sensitive menu.

Some scripts will work, but they're a little hit and miss at the moment. I read somewhere that BBC iPlayer works already (for UK viewers).

I assume GUI sound effects are coming?

Thanks in advance.
DavidA Wrote:Currently (31 Jan 11) you have to tether the ATV2 to a Mac each time you start it. This is a side effect of the current jailbreak, although a new version of the jailbreak is in the works that will avoid this.

You need to perform tethered jailbreak if you are running iOS 4.2.1 (ATV2 OS 4.1.1 or 4.1). If you are running iOS 4.1 (ATV2 OS 4.0) then you don't need to do tethered boot. I am running iOS 4.1 and don't need to tether. Note, in the about section on your apple tv the ATV2 OS version will be displayed, not the iOS version.

DavidA Wrote:In order to get simple XBMC ATV2 updates, I need to wait for the iOS code to be merged into the main XBMC source. Is that right? In the mean time, the only way I can see progress is by hacking in new versions as described here. Any idea when and how simpler upgrades are going to be possible? Within XBMC or with a APT-GET?

Yup, You can use the custom builds from the thread you linked to. Check out this post in that thread for info on the release timeframe through apt-get.

DavidA Wrote:Is there support for the Mediastream skin in the works?

I believe it does work in the current release although is more stable in the daily builds (from your previous link). I haven't tried this myself.

DavidA Wrote:The current GUI is a bit glitchy and has framerate issues. I assume this is because it's early code and not a shortcoming of the ATV2 hardware?

Again, this is already fixed in the daily builds.

DavidA Wrote:Support for a fuller IR remote is coming, but not for a while since the ATV2 isn't set up for a fuller IR remote. In the mean time, an iPhone or Android XBMC app will work. Also, holding down MENU on the ATV2 remote brings up the context sensitive menu.

Yup, this is correct. You need to use the daily build to be able to use the iPhone remote I believe.

DavidA Wrote:Some scripts will work, but they're a little hit and miss at the moment. I read somewhere that BBC iPlayer works already (for UK viewers).

Yeah, still hit and miss at the moment.

DavidA Wrote:I assume GUI sound effects are coming?

Saw some info about this somewhere, something about the library being used not being compatible, I guess this would be low priority as it isn't really core.
DavidA Wrote:Currently (31 Jan 11) you have to tether the ATV2 to a Mac each time you start it. This is a side effect of the current jailbreak, although a new version of the jailbreak is in the works that will avoid this.

That is not entirely correct. You need a Mac to create your files initially, but then you can run the tethered boot from the windows DOS application through the CMD command.

I've done it many times when I've had to unplug the ATV2 when XBMC has frozen.
Thanks to both of you.

I installed the MediaStream skin from within XBMC. It installs and works fine, but the graphics are broken in places, including the main menu which makes it hard to use.

Regarding the framerate and glitch issues, I've tried the 30th Jan daily build and I'm still seeing framerate and responsiveness issues. It's completely functional, but difficult to use. I assume that it's not just me? I'd guess that the framerate is 18fps. On my Xbox1 it feels like 50fps. I guess I'm just checking that everyone here is experiencing a choppy framerate at the moment.

Willise, can you give me a link to how I can run a tethered boot from a DOS box?
Tethered boot from Windows machine in the first post here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91490
grahamrb Wrote:If you are running iOS 4.1 (ATV2 OS 4.0) then you don't need to do tethered boot.

This is only true if:

(1) You purchased your ATV2 4.0 (iOS4.1) prior to when Apple stopped signing iOS4.1 (early Dec 2010)

(2) You generated & saved the unique iOS4.1 SHSH blobs for your device prior to when Apple stopped signing iOS4.1 (either with Cydia or Tiny Umbrella)

In my case, I recently purchased an ATV2 and found it to be v4.0 (OS4.1), but I cannot use the untethered jailbreak because I don't have the older SHSH blobs and there is no way to generate them now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Newbie Questions0