Apple tv usb linux boot.
So i want to boot linux off an 8 gig usb drive for the apple tv. Im looking for a good how to. I tried the OpenELEC.tv how to thats out on the web but that didnt work. I would like to try sams image but find it hard to figure out with a 250 comment thread. Could anybody point me in the right direction for a step by step howto on doing this? Forgive me if there is an obvious answer but I could not find one.
First post in this thread:
Ok i think i figured out that post but can i do this from a mac? ive tried the dd command but it says unknown operand. Has anyone successfully restored this image on a mac? or do i have to do it on a windows or linux machine.
calev Wrote:Ok i think i figured out that post but can i do this from a mac? ive tried the dd command but it says unknown operand. Has anyone successfully restored this image on a mac? or do i have to do it on a windows or linux machine.

dd is slightly different on OS X. Try it without the 'bs' command.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Alright so i got it to work on windows not a mac, but its frozen on a black screen. Do you need internet for sams image to work?
So i guess no body else gets stuck in a black screen?
Hi,

calev Wrote:So i want to boot linux off an 8 gig usb drive for the apple tv. Im looking for a good how to. I tried the OpenELEC.tv how to thats out on the web but that didnt work.

Have you tryed this: http://unstdio.org/openelec-on-atv/ ?
greetings, Stephan

Yeah i tried that first. Xbmc never loaded up.

sraue Wrote:Hi,

Have you tryed this: http://unstdio.org/openelec-on-atv/ ?
calev Wrote:So i want to boot linux off an 8 gig usb drive for the apple tv. Im looking for a good how to. I tried the OpenELEC.tv how to thats out on the web but that didnt work. I would like to try sams image but find it hard to figure out with a 250 comment thread. Could anybody point me in the right direction for a step by step howto on doing this? Forgive me if there is an obvious answer but I could not find one.

The openelec image works great on the ATV1. So does Sam's. You just have to use dd pretty well as indicated ( even including the block size option). This can be done from terminal. Or use Windows and the usbimagetool . I have both images on 8 and 16 gig flash drives. You are clearly not writing the image properly. Try partitioning the flash drive with Disk Utility with one partition. Choose DOS as it's pretty harmless. Then use dd or the windows' utility. How are you writing the image? You cannot do a restore.

philip
calev Wrote:Ok i think i figured out that post but can i do this from a mac? ive tried the dd command but it says unknown operand. Has anyone successfully restored this image on a mac? or do i have to do it on a windows or linux machine.

You aren't restoring it. You have to use dd on the Mac ( or the usb image tool under Windows). You are writing the image in a wrong way or perhaps the flash drive is odd. I have done it from the Mac countless times using dd. I always formatted it as dos first ( one partition). Both images boot into XBMC. You unplug the ATV put in the flash drive and plug it back in.

philip
I did sams image with the windows tool suggested. I just restored it the the flash drive. It would boot but after all the linux text it just went to a black screen.
as for the other method i just the tutorial on their website under mac with disc utility, word for word. the text never went away on that one. I was wondering if xbmc was even installed because the download install was only 70 megabytes.

pmcd Wrote:You aren't restoring it. You have to use dd on the Mac ( or the usb image tool under Windows). You are writing the image in a wrong way or perhaps the flash drive is odd. I have done it from the Mac countless times using dd. I always formatted it as dos first ( one partition). Both images boot into XBMC. You unplug the ATV put in the flash drive and plug it back in.

philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple tv usb linux boot.0