xbmc and RFID control
Our son watch to much tv and i tought maybe it is possible to use a FRID reader with xbmc to control his tv watching time.
For example he can watch 1 hour pro day or a specific move or tv program.
After that xbmc shutdown.

Is this possible and is there an app for this?
sorry for that, I can't resist... an App™ called "Parents".

(just wanted to be a joke, I know that's hard)
I know it's hard. On the other hand, now he learns to be lazy.
So i hope that an App "Parents and kids" exists.
not really sure what rfid has to do with this?

You could probably reuse some of the idle timer code in xbmc but trigger it on login of a user and when a set time is reached it logs out current user. It seems like it could be a nice feature, we have some other parental features and this seems like it could be an worthwhile addition, given that the patch is clean.

Patches welcomed.

Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I really hate to be one that asks. Have you actually chipped your kid?? Confused And then are planing on him having to scan him self every time he wants to use the tv??
You do not scan RFID... if he has an implant then it would read the ID and then allow/disallow based on certain criteria (such as time watched per that ID). It would be proximity-based.

So if he is in the same room (or if he is unlucky and in the next room over) it would count him as "watching" the TV when it senses he is there. Of course, this is all theoretical... since nothing exists in XBMC to do this.
bmcclure937 Wrote:You do not scan RFID...

Well actually you kind of do. They are typically very short range, so you would have to go very close to the RFID reader.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/faq/18/69
Quote:In general, low-frequency tags are read from a foot (0.33 meter) or less. High-frequency tags are read from about three feet (1 meter)

This is why I said you would have to have him/her scan them self's. Unless you have the RFID reader in the remote......
It is good to ask. We think the tv has chipped his brain, more or less the programs have done this. The first thing he asked when he comes home is; "Can i watch tv?" and when i asked him "Do you have a problem with the tv" his answer is "no".
Of course, but he has to do his homework. And then he can decide to watch tv for a certain time or program, not for the rest of the day.
Certainly we don't want to scan him.
Is there maybe an other App so that we can have both our son and the tv at home?
I mean a reader like touchatag with usb from touchatag.com
http://www.touchatag.com/e-store
maybe this app might be useful: (linux) KChildlock. You can edit restrictions per application.
Is this thread for real?
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
bmcclure937 Wrote:You do not scan RFID... if he has an implant then it would read the ID and then allow/disallow based on certain criteria (such as time watched per that ID). It would be proximity-based.

So if he is in the same room (or if he is unlucky and in the next room over) it would count him as "watching" the TV when it senses he is there. Of course, this is all theoretical... since nothing exists in XBMC to do this.

There are both active and passive RFID technologies. There is no such thing as an active RFID implant that can be read from a room over. Doesn't exist. The only people who belive otherwise wear tin foil hats and tend to (erroneously) associate RFID with "the number of the beast".

RFID (implanted or otherwise) could be used if you have an intermediary between XBMC and the RFID signal. Specifically, I'm thinking in terms of home automation. I use active RFID tied into my system to do a number of things. Starting XBMC isn't one of them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc and RFID control0