iPad: building libdvd
I have recently installed XBMC on my iPad 4.2.1. And it's great! I'm impressed with the quality of the port. However I have quite some dvds ripped to either ISO or VOB/IFO (in video_ts folders) format. The VOB/ISO playback is not (yet) supported since the libdvd libraries are not yet ported.

I would like to try and help out with the porting of those libraries. I looked at github, in particular the libdvd libraries (basically libdvdcss, libdvdnav and libdvdread) on the main branch and was wondering how to go about and try and build an iOS enabled version with those libraries included (and then see how to fix the errors I probably get during the build step)

I have a Mac on which I will setup the XCode development environment to make the regular build, just to get things started. I have a s/w engineering background, but not on Mac, but once the build process is known, it's just comfortably C coding... Smile

Any info, advice, warnings, rants, raves, flames or maybe an ETA on the libdvd porting is welcome.
faethon Wrote:I have recently installed XBMC on my iPad 4.2.1. And it's great! I'm impressed with the quality of the port. However I have quite some dvds ripped to either ISO or VOB/IFO (in video_ts folders) format. The VOB/ISO playback is not (yet) supported since the libdvd libraries are not yet ported.

I would like to try and help out with the porting of those libraries. I looked at github, in particular the libdvd libraries (basically libdvdcss, libdvdnav and libdvdread) on the main branch and was wondering how to go about and try and build an iOS enabled version with those libraries included (and then see how to fix the errors I probably get during the build step)

I have a Mac on which I will setup the XCode development environment to make the regular build, just to get things started. I have a s/w engineering background, but not on Mac, but once the build process is known, it's just comfortably C coding... Smile

Any info, advice, warnings, rants, raves, flames or maybe an ETA on the libdvd porting is welcome.

libdvdnav and libdvdread are built and used with 10.0-5 build/release.

libdvdcss is not and that needs some coding love to resolve it trying to play IOKit games which do not exist on iOS.
davilla Wrote:libdvdnav and libdvdread are built and used with 10.0-5 build/release.

libdvdcss is not and that needs some coding love to resolve it trying to play IOKit games which do not exist on iOS.

Thanks. I noticed that the XCode env is not a freebee. Figuring out a way to actually get around that hurdly...
faethon Wrote:Thanks. I noticed that the XCode env is not a freebee. Figuring out a way to actually get around that hurdly...

it is. you only need an iOS dev account if you want to ad-hock self sign which you don't need.
Ok, well I had to register to get to the downloads. I didn't see I have to pay so I assume the registration is at least free... Setting up the build env when the download is ready.
Been able to setup the development environment and clone atv2 repo. Have been building hte prerequisites, then patched xcode (http://www.alexwhittemore.com) and started to build the XBMC project. However, the build fails, the first error being 'library -lcmyth' not found. I did a search on google, but nothing useful came up. Where do I find this library?
faethon Wrote:Been able to setup the development environment and clone atv2 repo. Have been building hte prerequisites, then patched xcode (http://www.alexwhittemore.com) and started to build the XBMC project. However, the build fails, the first error being 'library -lcmyth' not found. I did a search on google, but nothing useful came up. Where do I find this library?

make -C tools/osx/ios-depends
make -C tools/osx/ios-depends/xbmc
make xcode_depends
build in xcode
@faethon and there maybe some script errors after building for iPad/iPhone. Just ignore them. Look into your build folder and find a working XBMC.app Wink
davilla Wrote:make -C tools/osx/ios-depends
make -C tools/osx/ios-depends/xbmc
make xcode_depends
build in xcode

right, forgot the make xcode_depends... that explains it. Trying it out now. I'm building on a macbook that isn't mine (my gf) but I don't want to attach my iPad. Will that be a problem? Rather, how do I transfer the build to my iPad (i can SCP into it, its jailbroken) without attaching it?

edit: I see the directory structure on my iPad resembling the build output. Howver, I didn't codesign the build, can I just copy over the new build over the existing one? Or do I need to do something else?

edit2: ok, I just SCPed the whole directory into the installed XBMC.app directory on my iPad. Checked that the new versions are actually on the iPad (timestamps). It started up nicely on my iPad. Sweet!! At least I can make the latest build.
Any further progress from anyone on getting iibdvdcss for iOS? I'm trying to avoid having to use DVD Remaster to remove menus or Handbrake to convert everything.

Thanks,

jason
ditto

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad: building libdvd0