Can I please get some feedback on my possible first build
Here is the system I've ordered for my first build. I appreciate the help and suggestions in getting this figured out. It will be running Win7 x64.

Initial Purchase
TOTAL: $591.95

Future Purchases
  • Blue Ray
  • TV-Tuner
Everything should work very well together, but I have two suggestions.

First, the GT 430 is a killer HTPC card, but if you will truly be using this computer for everything (including PC gaming) there are other cards that can handle everything XBMC needs and might perform better for games. If you'll not be doing a lot of gaming, that's a negligible issue.

Second, I've personally had so/so luck with the EARS series of WD drives. They have a different sector size (I believe) that has caused the two drives I owned to perform erratically. I've used my drives in servers and other untended applications, not in a full HTPC build, though, so there may well be a way to address the unique needs of a WD EARS drive. You mentioned SSD in the future, but even a small (30-40 Gb) SSD can be had pretty cheap, and would make a killer system drive.

Other than that, looks very solid. Even as is, I doubt you'll have any trouble downloading, unpacking, and streaming 1080p simultaneously.
it is a killer powerful HTPC Smile

Look If you won't do Heavy Gaming, watch 3D movies on your 3D HDTV and
Bitstream DolbyTrue-HD & DTS-HD Master audio to your A/V Receiver to Decode
then, you don't really need the GT430 Card...
Just go with the GT210....

Same for the CPU,
If you wont be doing some Heavy Video Editing tasks
like ripping/transcoding/Encoding DVDs and Blurays,
then, you don't really need a Quad-Core...
your fine with a Dual-Core processor....
Just go with an CELERON E3400 or ATHLON X2 250...

SSD is the way to go for me and for many HTPC users...
i know it can be pricey a bit, but benefits are high!
Lowering the CPU or Graphics Card or even both depending on your needs
will allow you to buy an SSD with the savings!

Anyhow, your the boss, either way, you'll have an amazing HTPC experience!

hope this helps, eSKRo,,,
I'd definatly go for a SSD, it's state of the art and the speed is aaaaawesome!

The case is very nice Shocked
I orded everthing after shortly after doing my initial post. Big Grin

I thought about the x2, but i didn't want to risk not being able to unlock the extra cores. It will be doing encoding occasionally, but i ultimately decided on the x4 since i intend on this lasting 4-5 years.

The gt430 was a no brained at $55 after bundles discounts and rebates.

The wd green hdd does worry me. I bought a 32gb SSD. The wd hdd will be used for storage only. I was attracted to the drive due to the 64mb cache and the noise levels of the drive. If you guys can recommend a better 2tb drive that isnt very noisy i will purchase it and send back the WD, but I would need to act on this soon since I will be building the system wednesday. I do plan on suspending the drive in the 5.5in bay using rubber bands.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I please get some feedback on my possible first build0