Solved - SPDIF/Optical "Audio Device Failed to Initialize" problem
Hi all - I just started using XBMC and was experiencing the "Audio Device Failed to Initialize" error that some others seem to be having. After not finding any documented successes here, I tried a few things myself and resolved the issue, so thought I'd post it for future search treasure.

Disclaimer: This was the solution to my issue, hopefully it works for you, but your mileage may vary! This particular box is Win Vista, so the specific menu names/routes may be different if you're using XP, 7, 3.1, 95, ME or NT Smile I'm also assuming that your audio works correctly outside of XBMC.

My setup:
  • Win Vista x64
  • XBMC 10.0
  • VIA HD audio chipset/codec (although this shouldn't matter)
  • Optical output from computer to optical input of receiver
  • Receiver is both DTS and Dolby Digital capable

Problem:
When attempting to play movies I would get the dreaded 'audio device failed to initialize' pop-up; no sound unless I switched the audio output setting in XBMC to analog.

My solution:
  • Control panel -> manage audio devices -> select the primary output device (in my case SPDIF Interface TX1) and click properties
  • Chose 'supported formats' tab
  • If you've got 'DTS Audio' and 'Dolby Audio' choices, check both (assuming your codec and receiver support them), although I don't believe this is actually part of the solution...
  • Under the 'Sample Rates' section, check off all the boxes your receiver supports. I know mine supports all up to 96KHz. I had only 96KHz checked making a likely false assumption that the codec would push everything at that sample rate (and I like to pretend I have dog-like super hearing). Once I selected the lower sample rates, my problems went away!

So why did that work for me? I've got no empirical evidence, but I suspect that the XBMC modules that engage the audio output system may not support or recognize a sample rate > 48KHz, or the codec has an issue being addressed as such.

Anyhow, I hope this helps you!

Greg B.
Wink 
I had the same problem, and this solution fixed it.
Thank you this was useful for me too...
Finally rid of the audio problems Smile
Thank you!

I always did this when installing on my last motherboard. Didn't think of it now, and I've never seen the error before.

This fixed everything!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solved - SPDIF/Optical "Audio Device Failed to Initialize" problem0