Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)

Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 4.23 Average
hyde01 Offline
Is there an alternative to the Asus Chromebox answer for "[The "I Just Want the Best Kodi Experience I Can Get in A Small Quiet Box in 2015" Category]" ?
I guess that would be a simple Windows box with same/better hardware, for about $250-$300 range.
How is ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02? http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VivoPC-VM40B-...00KU54KPQ/
(This post was last modified: Today 05:59 by hyde01.)
find quote
nickr Online
Donor
Very shiny!

I wouldn't count windows in the equation really.

An alternative is RPi2.

If you were stuck on windows then a Liva or a BI320 might be good choices.

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thank user' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "Thank you" button.)
find quote
hyde01 Offline
(Today 06:18)nickr Wrote:  Very shiny!

I wouldn't count windows in the equation really.

An alternative is RPi2.

If you were stuck on windows then a Liva or a BI320 might be good choices.

Thank you, I am not really stuck with windows, but I just don't want to have to fiddle with programming/formatting and all that settings, plus I have a windows friendly environment so I'd prefer to keep it same and familiar, especially when I am not home, kids & wife can easily use the device as a computer if they just need to check youtube quickly, etc, and sharing from one Win PC to another, also be able to port my existing XBMC setup from my Current Win 7 system to a new one. My existing PC is getting extremely loud and it's lacking gigabit, faster ram, 5.1 audio, etc.

Lastly, my new HTPC should be OK to handle external BluRay drive if I decide to get rid of my PS3 one day. I miss watching BD time to time, so it would be nice, but not %100 necessary. I guess Liva probably can't handle these and it doesn't have enough USB ports to power my 3 passport drives and all other stuff I have going on with my PC.

For the price, you are getting everything with Asus, although I am not very confident in Intel Celeron 1007U Processor

I know there are others with proper Intel processors like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856164010 with Core i3-4010U
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856102052 with Core i5-4250U

And GIGABYTE one has an offer now from newegg and it comes with SSD and RAM, though 64GB can only be boot drive, not much can be stored in there.
(This post was last modified: Today 07:35 by hyde01.)
find quote
pbureau Offline
(Today 05:56)hyde01 Wrote:  Is there an alternative to the Asus Chromebox answer for "[The "I Just Want the Best Kodi Experience I Can Get in A Small Quiet Box in 2015" Category]" ?
I guess that would be a simple Windows box with same/better hardware, for about $250-$300 range.
How is ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02? http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VivoPC-VM40B-...00KU54KPQ/

I have a vivo pc with kodi and I'm pretty happy with it. However I installed ubuntu, and configured a few minor things.

The only real issue I'm having is with audio output through HDMI. Sometimes, for no obvious reasons, HDMI audio refuses to work. I usually manage to revive it by starting ubuntu native media player...
find quote
Matt Devo Offline
(Today 05:56)hyde01 Wrote:  Is there an alternative to the Asus Chromebox answer for "[The "I Just Want the Best Kodi Experience I Can Get in A Small Quiet Box in 2015" Category]" ?

in that case, why aren't you looking at the HP Stream Mini / Zotax BI320 (Haswell Celeron 2955/57U), or MSI Cubi (Broadwell Celeron 3205U), or even a Core i3 NUC? That Asus is a terrible value with outdated hardware

Questions about Kodi on an Asus/HP/Acer/Dell ChromeBox?

Check out the wiki and my EZ install script

find quote
wrxtasy Online
Posting Freak
(Today 07:25)hyde01 Wrote:  Lastly, my new HTPC should be OK to handle external BluRay drive if I decide to get rid of my PS3 one day. I miss watching BD time to time, so it would be nice, but not %100 necessary. I guess Liva probably can't handle these and it doesn't have enough USB ports to power my 3 passport drives and all other stuff I have going on with my PC.

For the price, you are getting everything with Asus, although I am not very confident in Intel Celeron 1007U Processor
Yep listen to Matt, he knows his shit. Wink

These recent Intel Haswell and Broadwell Celerons in the HP/Zotac/MSI are perfect for what you want.
- Run Kodi very well and nice for lightweight Windows duties.
- Has all the USB Ports you could want
- Does not sound like a jumbo jet when operating !

You will get far better value and a nice elegant device if you ditch the BluRay. Its really not worth the hassle.
- Definately don't buy dated ASUS hardware.
- Have a read up about the HEVC codec as well. You will most likely want to be able to decode that and if that is the case seriously consider the Broadwell MSI Cubi over anything else mentioned.
(This post was last modified: Today 11:33 by wrxtasy.)
find quote
tecje Offline
(Yesterday 23:50)Topken Wrote:  Take a look at the Zotac BI320 then since it has a built in Toslink port and there are 2 models the fully loaded with 2gbs of ram a 64gb mSATA ssd and wIndows 8.1 with bing then there is the barebones model which is missing everything including the mSATA slot but a 2.5" 64gb SSD plus 2gbs of ram running openelec might be cheaper then the chromebox.

Great tip.

The zotac bi320 goes for 133 euro' s, the ci320 for 155. The gigabyte brix bxbt 2807 for 120, brix btce 2955 for 155. These are all barebones.
The mede8er 3d is about 133,-
A pi2 kit will set me back about 60,-

Which option will give the best value for the money?

Tnx!

Edit: barebones.
(This post was last modified: Today 10:26 by tecje.)
find quote
wrxtasy Online
Posting Freak
Go with something popular and proven here on the forums with a Haswell 2955U Celeron in it. Best low cost VPU/GPU for Kodi.
That being the Zotac BI320. Add RAM, SATA3 SSD and possibly a Flirc IR receiver.

Zotac BI320 thread here:
forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211925&page=2

RPi2 will give you 3D MVC mkv playback. 3D MVC iso's playback coming down the pipe.
Be aware the RPi2 can also do Optical out if you get a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II usb adapter.
You will also then need a IR receiver like a Flirc for the Harmony remote. But HDMI-CEC control is built into the RPi2.
(This post was last modified: Today 11:41 by wrxtasy.)
find quote