Use Sound Card As IR Interconnect Input
Most TV's and Receivers now have the ability to interconnect the devices using a standard male to male 3.5mm cable.

I've been having a hell of a time getting my IR receiver working in my HTPC chassis, so I'm looking for a new approach.

Is there a way to use the aux in on my sound card as some sort of interconnect input (or some other option to achieve the same result)?
Chase
Lirc can do this.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Lirc can do this.

Is there any instructions online that you might be able to point me to?
Chase
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lirc+sound+card
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lirc+sound+card

I don't know what it is with people using lmgtfy to get a point across. I find it insulting.

Obviously I've already done this and found the lirc website and discovered that you can make a homebrew IR receiver using a sound card. However, I'm not looking to create a receiver in the sense that this particular How-To is saying. IE: I'm not looking to hook up an IR receiver to my pc via a sound card, but rather use the sound card as an interconnect input.

I may be off and the instructions may still apply, however I'm just not sure all the in's and out's.

I need to figure out how to disable the internal IR receiver without disabling the LCD screen, and then tell lirc to use the sound card input instead.

Again, I've already used Google for much of this, but with outdated results and information being not quite relevant to my needs, I'm hoping to find someone who has already done something like this and can lend a little insight.
Chase
So if I use the driver described here

What do I have to do in my hardware.conf to tell the system to use the audio input instead of the "lirc0"? Basically I don't know how to find the soundcard ID.

Quote:REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
Chase
Might be easier to get a blue tooth adapter and a ps3 remote, instead of all that messing around.

Sorry that there are people on here that are unhelpful and just tell you to google it.... really they have no business replying to topics just to troll like that. Perhaps the mods can set some better guidelines for idiots like that.
I've used the remote output on my Onkyo tx-l5 with lirc audio a couple years back, but I compiled lirc myself with just audio support, I have no idea how to set it up using the config files.
You might want to use a 1k series resistor and a parallel diode to limit the voltage going into the soundcard though, the signal on the remote output is usually 5 volts.

I've also used it with the lirc serial port driver, I hooked it up so I could also send to the Onkyo, then started playing with different remote codes.
A couple different codes would trigger a debug mode in the receiver, one of which was a 50 hertz sine on the subwoofer output with the volume set at max, that was a bit scary.
Death-Axe Wrote:Might be easier to get a blue tooth adapter and a ps3 remote, instead of all that messing around.

Sorry that there are people on here that are unhelpful and just tell you to google it.... really they have no business replying to topics just to troll like that. Perhaps the mods can set some better guidelines for idiots like that.

Thanks for the support on the lmgtfy troll. It's a real pain indeed. I have a bluetooth remote, but I've put it on a shelf in favor of my Harmony 900 with RF.

basically, I want to be able to send the RF commands to my logitech adapter, then hardwire all of my other components from there. That way I don't have a bunch blasters hanging off of my shelves and components. If I go the bluetooth route, I'm not going to be able to fully consolidate my remotes.
Chase
Ah ok. Does sound a little complicated though! but I suppose that's the fun of this stuff hehe. Good luck on your set up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use Sound Card As IR Interconnect Input0