power down HDD when idle on XBMC live install
Hi all,

I'd like to turn my XBMC machine (Revo r3610) into a NAS that stays powered up 24/7.

Being a Yorkshire man I'm looking to keep power consumption to a minimum Laugh so was wondering if there's anyway I could power the internal HDD down when idle. But seeing as XBMC is currently installed to the internal HDD I thought this might not be possible or does the OS stay in RAM?

I've been googling and found hdparm. Is this included in XBMC live?
Look up hdparm/sdparm and how to use it.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I have had the same battles with my XS35 and external USB hard drives - after much messing around I found hdparm the solution to use. There seemed to be some confusion though with these utils not working over USB drives and/or to use sdparm instead (which didn't work for me).

I'm basically telling the drives themselves to power down (spin down) after X amount of time (15 mins in my case) - hdparm writes this data to the HDD itself in low-level sectors.

For the most part it works okay - once you have issued the commands at the shell and proven it works - you can add entires to /etc/hdparm.conf to make it stick over re-boots.

E.g.

$ hdparm /dev/sda1 -S 180

The '180' isn't seconds, the spin down time is a little weird, it's increments of 5 seconds up to values of 240. Best to read the man pages to understand correctly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
power down HDD when idle on XBMC live install0