Stream videos over 3G with XBMC iOS version?
Is it possible to run XBMC on my iOS device but then stream videos from my home XBMC server over 3G?

Ideally I'd like my iOS version of XBMC to be a client to my home XBMC "server"...
i guess it depends on the upstream capacy of your inet connection at home if its fast enough to stream it. the downstream of 3G /should/ be ok to handle it.
In XBMC's current form, I'm pretty much certain you'd also need your content folders available to the the Internet too, and I'd really consider that a huge no-no in terms of legal issues, file privacy and home network security, especially if these are Samba shares.

I don't think there's any way to set your home XBMC as a server inside your home network and your iOS XBMC as a client outside that directly connects to it.

Also, as Maetrik says you'd also have to check your upstream bandwidth would be capable of supporting video streaming unless you want to implement some find of on-the-fly compression/uncompression into the data flow too.
Accessing video content via 3G is going to be an issue. There's no way that a 3G phone network can handle HD content bandwidth and even if it did, you would quickly attract the attention of your service provider with respect to excessive bandwidth usage.

As it stands, XBMC for iOS does not care where your video content resides. A wifi connection is preferred or in case of the ATV2, a wired connection. That said, any issues with performance regarding content access over 3G networks will be ignored as that's not the purpose of the XBMC for atv2/ios port at this time.
nm
There are apps available to stream 3g to your iPhone. If you are interested send me a PM and I will share my experiences.
Is there any progress on this? Would also like to stream to my iphone over 3g.
markus3000 Wrote:Is there any progress on this? Would also like to stream to my iphone over 3g.

was something unclear about davillas post?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream videos over 3G with XBMC iOS version?0