Audio Component htpc case
Hello from a newly registered member.

I am looking for what, based on my "inexact" research this morning, probably hampered by using the wrong terminology, a hi fi size component case for a htpc. I was originally attracted to the ZOTA BOX products until I read that they apparently are not very good at decoding blu ray over the Linux version of XBMC. That is not a "biggy" per se as I have a blu-ray box.

So my thoughts went then to the more mainstream integration into my (to be changed system) when I redo the entertainment room.

It would be desirable to find a solution that has 7.1 audio output (for various "encoded files" on the NAS, to future proof things a bit. 3D not essential yet as 3D does not work with my funny eyesight :)

Quiet, of course, HDMI output (ideally 1.4a for future proofing) and maybe space for a couple of SSDs (can XBMC linux "chain" them together so one can use a couple of 20 or 30gb spare drives I have rather than buy a new 60gb, even though I intend to stream most from the NAS boxen I have?

BUT if I am going to go this route, it would be most desirable to get a case that looks like a hi fi component. A few I have looked at seem to have VFDs but apparently they are not controllable by the standard XBMC Linux, from what I understand, and I am no kernel hacker.

So, if I could intrude as a new member, and ask for any recommendations for such a case AS A NEW SYSTEM and, maybe then, if anyone has a thought, the best option to put in the case that can do 1080 output/decoding, 7.1/5.1 video/audio connected via hdmi/spdif that can route through my Harmon Kardon AVR360 I would be very happy and, hopefully, one day be able to impart some wisdom back to this comprehensive community.

With best wishes, Darren
I got one of those cases: Silverstone ML02
It has a display integrated and includes a remote that is able to start/stop the system. There's also a power supply included, so it's kind of all you need Smile

Inside sits this board: ZOTAC ION ITX D

And finaly a SSD (40GB), to make it all really fast ans silent Smile

Drives SD content via WLAN just fine and HD via LAN is no problem.
As I do not watch HD very often you'll perhaps have to install the Motherboard Fan if it is running hot, but I never did that.

Currently running Win7 on this machine with pathed Dharma Pre DVR (which is in fact an old version) that is capable viewing LiveTV from my Ubuntu driver server system running TVHeadEnd.

My wife is not shouting at me anymore, so everything is fine Smile

Last word for the display: For Windows there's a nice program here in the forum somewhere that will display all sort of data on it.
It is a Soundgraph display/remote combination and they offer an API to control it.
AFAIK there are possibilities to get it running on Linux too....well...i tried that some months ago and it worked, but I can only remember it was not THAT hard to configure, not exactly HOW I did it or WHERE I found the informations Wink

greetz
Croaker
luoto Wrote:...maybe space for a couple of SSDs (can XBMC linux "chain" them together so one can use a couple of 20 or 30gb spare drives I have rather than buy a new 60gb, even though I intend to stream most from the NAS boxen I have?

I think you're referring to some sort of RAID0 configurartion here. However, you have stumbled across the answer in a different manner. Linux doesn't work like Windows with C:, D:, E: etc for each hard drive. Instead it has a root folder (denoted by a forward slash) and all folders are "hung off" that folder. You can mount a hard drive seamlessly anywhere in that system.

So for example, you could install your OS onto one hard drive, and then mount the other in /media, possibly /mnt (both of which are standard Linux folders), or even somewhere crazy like /home/user/Work/Project1. This last layout would let you use a different hard drive for each work project you were working on, that could be removed and put into a different computer, or just to provide some protection for your files when you upgrade or completely wipe and reinstall your OS, only the system files would be changed.
Croaker Wrote:I got one of those cases: Silverstone ML02
Believe it or not, but I have the exact same setup :-)
silverstone ml02 + zotac ion board etc.

I'm running it with linux, the display/remote works fine and is very easy to setup. Moreover, I think there are xbmc patches out there (on trac) that take advantage of the 'MP3'/'DVD'/... status lights, just need to wait for them to hit trunk (if you can't wait, there is a perl script that you can use too in the meantime).

However, when the pc is turned off, the display's back light is still on which is quite irritating, this is because the display/IR is one module and needs continuous power to allow you to use the remote for turning the thing on.

While I like the ml02, I have to admit I think it's a bit overpriced and now would choose something else if I needed an htpc again. Perhaps something smaller, as it is a bit oversized for the mini-itx board (ml02 is for micro-atx max.)
IAmNotAUser Wrote:I think you're referring to some sort of RAID0 configurartion here. However, you have stumbled across the answer in a different manner. Linux doesn't work like Windows with C:, D:, E: etc for each hard drive. Instead it has a root folder (denoted by a forward slash) and all folders are "hung off" that folder. You can mount a hard drive seamlessly anywhere in that system.

So for example, you could install your OS onto one hard drive, and then mount the other in /media, possibly /mnt (both of which are standard Linux folders), or even somewhere crazy like /home/user/Work/Project1. This last layout would let you use a different hard drive for each work project you were working on, that could be removed and put into a different computer, or just to provide some protection for your files when you upgrade or completely wipe and reinstall your OS, only the system files would be changed.
as far as I know, you can use the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) for this purpose, well-known/developed and supported by most linux distributions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Vol...28Linux%29
Thank you for the advice. I am looking at the Moneual MONCASO 312 HTPC Case Black as this seems to match the style most and has had some positive reviews. Now i need to find a local builder to help fine tune the technical elements as I am no PC builder with my fat fingers and poor eyesight !

Thank you !
Darren

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Component htpc case0