Horizontal Tearing With Aero Enabled on ATi GPUs?
My rig is using an ATi Radeon HD 5450 512MB PCI Express Graphics card. I am driving my primary display over DVI and my secondary display over HDMI, audio going out to HDMI, both are native 1080P displays. I have XBMC setup to run on the secondary display (a Toshiba LCD HDTV). Host operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Drivers and OS are entirely up to date.

The issue I am experiencing is simple: I get fairly annoying tearing in all video playback. This is only apparent when either the camera is horizontally panning across a scene or elements within the scene are moving horizontally.

This is only happening when I have Aero enabled. I am using DXVA2 rendering.
The best advice I have been able to find in searching the forums and elsewhere is to enable VSync. However, in the current version of the Catalyst Control Center, there doesn't appear to be a setting for VSync anywhere.

Any suggestions? My Nvidia hardware doesn't have this issue. I would really like to be able to leave Aero enabled.
Catchy Signature Here
2 options to check

XBMC - go to System\System\Video Output\Vertical Blank Sync;
CCC - Gaming\3d Applications\Wait for Vertical Refresh
Hi - I'm not entirely sure it's relevant to your situation, but on my WinXP machine with an ATI X1900XT, after upgrading to XBMC 10.0 I have noticed that sometimes I have to <ALT><ENTER> to pop XBMC out of fullscreen, and then <ALT><ENTER> again to go back to fullscreen in order to eliminate tearing. The settings for VSYNC in the menus seem to have no effect unless I do this.

I think this may also have something to do with my use of Remote Desktop - not sure if that applies to you or not.
Sleepy - did you fix this?

I just started having the same issue in XBMC & WMC7 after installing the last 2 ATI driver updates (11.4 & 11.5). I don't think I had a problem with an older driver so if I cannot fix this I will install an older one next.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I think I fixed this, time will tell but I've watched a few shows without tearing.

I went into CCC and disabled "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" under Video - not sure why this would matter but it seems to since I did not change anything else and I've had tearing for a while
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Horizontal Tearing With Aero Enabled on ATi GPUs?0