One Quick Question
I have my ATV2 set up on my tv and I have a Windows 7 Machine acting as my download machine and home for all of my media. My main question right now is I have my media setup through SMB shares on my ATV2. With SMB shares is my Windows 7 machine doing the work with the media and just streaming it to the ATV2? I don't want to overwork the processor in my ATV2 since my Windows 7 machine is extremely overkill for what it is used for.
Your computer just sends the file to the Apple TV and the Apple TV does the work to display it.
Is there a way I can set it up so the media is streamed to the ATV2? I would like it if I could make it so my windows 7 machine does the work.
the whole point of XBMC is to stream. The SMB server (in your case windows 7) needs only to push the content over the network. The XBMC receives this data stream and works to decode the content to display/play it.
The Apple TV is connected to the TV, not your Win 7 machine so it must be the Apple TV to decode the video. If you feel that having a machine on just to serve files is overkill, consider buying a router with SMB support or a NAS.
ok I understand it now. That makes sense with the apple tv decoding and the windows 7 machine pushing the content.

I don't think having a machine on to serve files is overkill, all I was saying is that for what I use it for, its specs are overkill which is why I was seeing if I could use it for anything else in this process.
Discreet Wrote:ok I understand it now. That makes sense with the apple tv decoding and the windows 7 machine pushing the content.

I don't think having a machine on to serve files is overkill, all I was saying is that for what I use it for, its specs are overkill which is why I was seeing if I could use it for anything else in this process.

Go get yourself a cheap PC, install linux, setup shares, move files, rinse. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One Quick Question0