General Beginning Questions
Hi, found out about XBMC two days ago, ever since it's been my devoted project to perfect artwork/fanwork and album details. My movies have all perfectly been filled with information, however I've found problems with my music. That is the topic of the majority of these questions. Thank you for your time, I appreciate how frustrating it is to teach those new over and over again. I promise, I've scoured the site, however all the how-to's are directed at linux and windows and have no relevance. The wiki's folder structure instructions are a little outdated and the only thing that has helped me get closer to the goal is the pdf in progress (XBMC for beginners). (Which is fantastic!)

ps. I am working on OS X, all my films/tvshows/music are working from a networked time capsule.

1) If I change fanart for a file, how does XBMC realise it has been changed and thus use it instead? Does this require an update of the library? Or will it automatically detect it.

2) Are there specific required dimensions for fanart/logo/etc. (i've checked the 'thumbnails' section of the wiki, however it seems to be outdated and confusing in the appliance of mac)

3) I'm using the Aeon MQ2 skin, after selecting 'music' from the home screen, I am brought to a submenu listing subcategories such as 'genres, artists, albums and etc' alongside being a thumbnail. This thumbnail is a has a default image, which I don't find very pretty. How can I manually change this? - (I have searched for so long to fix this, and have finally succumbed to asking, it's not my thing but I must emphasize this question of the seven)

4) The first thing I see when I click 'music' is my playlists. How can I default this so that it opens initially up to the genre screen above?
Edit: after trial and error, it seems to default to playlists the first time 'music' is selected. If I browse (after clicking 'music') from playlists to genre, back out to the home screen and select it again, it goes back to music. However there remains the problem of defaulting to playlists.

(For questions 3+4) Here are a couple of pictures of what I mean.

5 Possible to force XBMC to default full screen onto my external display? Even when dragged in and fullscreened (\ or CMD+F) it full screens to my laptop screen. I've experimented with changing docks, dodgy software and more, I'm stumped! The only way I can get it to work is by dragging it over, browsing (in windowed mode) to settings and changing it then and there. However when I change it back to windowed mode, and then return, its back to the original display.

Sorry if thats confusing. It's a tedious problem.

6) Any library management similar to Ember Media Manager or Media Companion for Mac? Looked everywhere, only options seems to be faulty, or outdated (according to comments on forums). Would love an experienced opinion on this. Is it worth the hassle of using parallels to work with Ember Media Manager? I've heard its been discontinued recently...

7) Seeing as I'm working from a networked drive. Should I remove all options to update automatically/on startup? Could this mean that when I'm travelling and using XBMC without my time capsule, that the update would wipe the library?

Kind Regards,

George
GCWB Wrote:Hi, found out about XBMC two days ago, ever since it's been my devoted project to perfect artwork/fanwork and album details. My movies have all perfectly been filled with information,

ps. I am working on OS X, all my films/tvshows/music are working from a networked time capsule.

1) If I change fanart for a file, how does XBMC realise it has been changed and thus use it instead? Does this require an update of the library? Or will it automatically detect it.

Change manually or automatic ?

2) Are there specific required dimensions for fanart/logo/etc. (i've checked the 'thumbnails' section of the wiki, however it seems to be outdated and confusing in the appliance of mac)

No but 720p or 1080p (1280x720) or (1920X1080) is best

3) I'm using the Aeon MQ2 skin, after selecting 'music' from the home screen, I am brought to a submenu listing subcategories such as 'genres, artists, albums and etc' alongside being a thumbnail. This thumbnail is a has a default image, which I don't find very pretty. How can I manually change this? - (I have searched for so long to fix this, and have finally succumbed to asking, it's not my thing but I must emphasize this question of the five)

Dont know but as a last resort you can always replace the jpg in the skin file itseld

4) The first thing I see when I click 'music' is my playlists. How can I default this so that it opens initially up to the genre screen above?

Dont know that one

(For questions 3+4) Here are a couple of pictures of what I mean.

5 Possible to force XBMC to default full screen onto my external display? Even when dragged in and fullscreened (\ or CMD+F) it full screens to my laptop screen. I've experimented with changing docks, dodgy software and more, I'm stumped! The only way I can get it to work is by dragging it over, browsing (in windowed mode) to settings and changing it then and there. However when I change it back to windowed mode, and then return, its back to the original display.

Sorry if thats confusing. It's a tedious problem.

There are a few programs for OSX that add functionalty for dual display.

6) Any library management similar to Ember Media Manager or Media Companion for Mac? Looked everywhere, only options seems to be faulty, or outdated (according to comments on forums). Would love an experienced opinion on this. Is it worth the hassle of using parallels to work with Ember Media Manager? I've heard its been discontinued recently...

If you name your films correctly, say: Name (year) is is not nessecarry

Kind Regards,

George

ok
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque Wrote:ok

Ironic. I was told to move my questions from a thread with useful commenters, to a thread, with the idiots

p.s. unless you've written okay, just to let me know your answering, and then editing in the answer. Apologies if thats the case. If it isn't. Nice.
@GCWB: idioteque's answers were inline - just weren't escaped properly. Smile

Some more answers:

1. In music, it should pick it up, yes. In videos it won't - you need to either refresh the show/movie (from the information dialog) or use Get Fanart from the same dialog.

2. No dimensions "required" at all. I normally recommend 720p for fanart and something that'll fit into 1024x512 (or vice-versa) for thumbs. XBMC will scale whatever it's given anyway, so no need to make them huge. I have no idea about "logos" and other such art, as these are not supported by XBMC directly (rather the skin pulls them directly off disk), but again, they'll all be scaled.

3. Your only option here is replacing the png/jpg file in the skin itself. This may be easy or difficult depending on the skin. Assuming the skin isn't packed (Textures.xbt) then you need only replace the DefaultMusicGenres.png file(s). If it's packed, you'll have to get the unpacked textures, replace the images, then either repack or run with them unpacked.

4. Context Menu -> Clear default (or Set Default). This depends somewhat on the skin - the skin may be directing you deliberately to playlists. You'll have to ask in the skin thread about that one.

5. It should remember the screen on which window mode is done - if it's not then that's a bug. I presume you've just extended your screen onto the other device? Unfortunately I don't have separate monitors so can't debug this one. Once you've confirmed the issue, please post a trac ticket about it and cc davilla, gimli, amet and myself.

6. Name your files correctly "title (year).avi" and it won't be an issue.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Firstly I'd like to sincerely apologise to idioteque. I didn't see it. My bad! Sad

jmarshall Wrote:@GCWB: idioteque's answers were inline - just weren't escaped properly. Smile

Some more answers:

1. In music, it should pick it up, yes. In videos it won't - you need to either refresh the show/movie (from the information dialog) or use Get Fanart from the same dialog.

- Alright, but where do I put the fanart? I've used export library and all my files are in the logical artist folders, however I'm relatively sure this isn't where I should be replacing the fanart.

2. No dimensions "required" at all. I normally recommend 720p for fanart and something that'll fit into 1024x512 (or vice-versa) for thumbs. XBMC will scale whatever it's given anyway, so no need to make them huge. I have no idea about "logos" and other such art, as these are not supported by XBMC directly (rather the skin pulls them directly off disk), but again, they'll all be scaled.

- Thanks

3. Your only option here is replacing the png/jpg file in the skin itself. This may be easy or difficult depending on the skin. Assuming the skin isn't packed (Textures.xbt) then you need only replace the DefaultMusicGenres.png file(s). If it's packed, you'll have to get the unpacked textures, replace the images, then either repack or run with them unpacked.

Rightio, urhh. Well it so happens it's packed. Is it too much effort to change this? Isn't there any software out there that can edit the layouts whilst leaving it packed? (apologies if this is a stupid question)

4. Context Menu -> Clear default (or Set Default). This depends somewhat on the skin - the skin may be directing you deliberately to playlists. You'll have to ask in the skin thread about that one.

- Thanks. Fixed this (kind of - it directs me to 'artists' once I used 'make default' - but I'm happy with this)

5. It should remember the screen on which window mode is done - if it's not then that's a bug. I presume you've just extended your screen onto the other device? Unfortunately I don't have separate monitors so can't debug this one. Once you've confirmed the issue, please post a trac ticket about it and cc davilla, gimli, amet and myself.

- Yeah, simple extension. Alright. Had a quick browse of the forum topics, where do I leave the bug report?

6. Name your files correctly "title (year).avi" and it won't be an issue.

- This wasn't what I meant, I think I was looking for a piece of software similiar to question 3. One that can browse the library, let me manage my fanart, album art, details and etc. It was more directed at music then films. Thanks though.

Q7? (was edited in after you replied)
Seeing as I'm working from a networked drive. Should I remove all options to update automatically/on startup? Could this mean that when I'm travelling and using XBMC without my time capsule, that the update would wipe the library? '

Cheers,
Jonathan

Cheers,

George
GCWB Wrote:5 Possible to force XBMC to default full screen onto my external display? Even when dragged in and fullscreened (\ or CMD+F) it full screens to my laptop screen. I've experimented with changing docks, dodgy software and more, I'm stumped! The only way I can get it to work is by dragging it over, browsing (in windowed mode) to settings and changing it then and there. However when I change it back to windowed mode, and then return, its back to the original display.

Settings--> Appearance-->Video Output. Here the top selection allows you to change from Full Screen #1, Full Screen #2, Windowed. I am betting you are on Full Screen #1 and need Full Screen #2. If the path I gave is not correct you are looking for the Video Output in the Settings somewhere.

You can also Mirror your displays in System Preferences.
What happens is, it's only possible to get it on my external display by dragging it on, then browsing to what you've just said and changing it through the settings.

This works, however once I change it back to windowed, or start up a new instance of XBMC, I have to do the same process again. Tedious.

I'd rather not mirror the screens. Thanks though.
It should save your screen no matter what, assuming you leave it in fullscreen. i.e. if you switch to Fullscreen #2, then exit out of XBMC, and restart XBMC it should be on fullscreen #2 again. The same thing will occur with Fullscreen #1.

What won't work is it won't remember where the window is - it'll just through the window centered on screen 1.

Please confirm.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:It should save your screen no matter what, assuming you leave it in fullscreen. i.e. if you switch to Fullscreen #2, then exit out of XBMC, and restart XBMC it should be on fullscreen #2 again. The same thing will occur with Fullscreen #1.

What won't work is it won't remember where the window is - it'll just through the window centered on screen 1.

Please confirm.

This is correct. If I set it to Window2 using the long process I previously mentioned, then shutdown and re-open. It will open on the alternate monitor. I just thought it would have the capability of being able to be dragged in and changed from windowed to full screen, and use the screen its windowed on.

Ahh well.
as far as a medila manager for mac, is this something that might be up your alley?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49370

there is this one as well, not sure how stable it is:
http://universalmc.sourceforge.net//downloads/

hope this helps
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
General Beginning Questions0