Onboard GPU that "plays nice" with XBMC Live
Hi, I'm in the process of a custom XBMC build. I'm using a FoxConn mini-ITX case that came with a 250w power supply.

I need to by a Mobo for this thing. My main requirement is that I want a GPU that will play 1080p via HDMI with audio. The problem I'm finding is that for external graphics cards a) the selection of low-profile cards is pretty slim and b) all the decent cards require at least a 300w PSU - which seems hard to come by for mini-ITX.

I figure there must be a solution to that problem, but in the meantime, I'll try first to get a mobo with an onboard GPU that would work. I understand the XBMC Live and XBMC on Linux don't play nice with some chipsets and that it is safest to go with nVidia. The Zotac motherboards with the GEForce chip have some pretty crappy reviews. Doesn't look like there's that many choices.

I'm not doing any gaming - just streaming photos and videos. I'm wondering if anyone has any mobo suggestions that could fit my bill? Would any of the AMD motherboards work nicely for me?

Also, is it true that I can't bitstream audio via HDMI if I'm using XBMC Live?

Thanks!
H
hominamad Wrote:My main requirement is that I want a GPU that will play 1080p via HDMI with audio.

A GT210 will do that on 120W, I don't care what the recommendations say.

Quote: Doesn't look like there's that many choices.

That is why just sticking in a GT210 might be best:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Quote:Also, is it true that I can't bitstream audio via HDMI if I'm using XBMC Live?

You just can't bitstream HD audio (aka DTS HD and Dolby True HD), but you can pass along 8 channel PCM (aka decoded Dolby True HD) or bitstream the DTS core.

GT210 can by passively cooled (then it covers two slots which is undesired) or with fan.
1) can fan on GT210 be switched off when not in use?
2) is this fan loud?
3) can it be replaced with some silent fan?
4) is GT210 hot when playing video, using XBMC? I don't plan to play 3D games with it, so maybe removing fan is an option to do it silent?
poofyhairguy Wrote:A GT210 will do that on 120W, I don't care what the recommendations say.

Am I to take this to mean that you could power a mITX system (MB+CPU+RAM+HDD) and the GT210 with a 120 watt picoPSU?
Thanks for the suggestion poofyhairguy. I'd still like to try an onboard GPU first and see how it works out. For one thing, I'll save some $$, but also, I'm not even sure if that card you recommended will fit in my case. I have one free slot, but physical space is very tight.

So, do any of the AMD mobos have a GPU that would work for me? Or is that nVidia GEForce 9300 the way to go?
hominamad Wrote:So, do any of the AMD mobos have a GPU that would work for me? Or is that nVidia GEForce 9300 the way to go?

The AMD mobos now have AMD GPUs, which are a "bag of hurt" in Linux.

wsume99 Wrote:Am I to take this to mean that you could power a mITX system (MB+CPU+RAM+HDD) and the GT210 with a 120 watt picoPSU?

I have.

AMD GPU is supposed to work in VAAPI mode in future. As I understand now VAAPI is only supported on Intel GPU?
Marx1 Wrote:AMD GPU is supposed to work in VAAPI mode in future.

VAAPI works now. The problem is VAAPI lacks many features Nvidia's VDPAU has (decent hardware color correction for one thing), and often to get VAAPI working means some command line hacking while getting a VDPAU on a GT210 working is as easy as "Install XBMC Live."

If you are a secret Linux fan who compiles programs for the fun of it, knock yourself out getting either Intel or AMD to work. If you want things to work out-of-the-box in the configuration that most XBMC devs use then stick to the GT2xx or 9xxx Nvidia GPU.

This is the motherboard I'm leaning towards. Anyone have any comments about this one, or experience with it?

ZOTAC GF9300-I-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813500041
hominamad Wrote:This is the motherboard I'm leaning towards. Anyone have any comments about this one, or experience with it?

ZOTAC GF9300-I-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813500041

That is a good board. The only issue is making sure you get a 775 CPU that doesn't get too hot in a Mini ITX form factor.

So um, I recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

45nm. HAS TO be 45nm.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Onboard GPU that "plays nice" with XBMC Live0