XBMC Usage stats?
Hey, I'm a little lost for data here, I'm working on a paper detailing the rise of home-cinema, and user-controlled viewing experiences versus traditional cable media… and I'm not finding many stats about the number of XMBC users… and I feel certain that there are more than the 70,000 registered on the forums, can anyone point my in the right direction?

I'm inspired by the articles about the rise of the iPlayer http://blobfisk.com/some-incredible-stat...ers-usage/ for web streaming (at least in Europe, iPlayer is the poster-boy of streaming success), and the stats for VLC which currently stand it at the 19,000,000 downloads per month figure!!? http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2010/08...ut-numbers
We'll have a post up on the homepage regarding stats in the near future, but basically what we have to go on is:

1. I'm not sure on total download numbers, as analytics doesn't seem to be reporting them correctly (or I'm doing something wrong which may well be the case!)

2. We have around 10-15k downloads/day of certain addons that are good tell-tale pointer as to how many are using what they download (eg the common scraper addons that have been bumped since Dharma will be downloaded by users that use the library and have automatic updates enabled), so I suspect that is reasonably accurate in terms of the number of folk downloading and running it every day (i.e. new users).

3. We have around 150-200k addon downloads total per day at present, though this is increasing all the time - some of these will be updates obviously, though many are new users as well. It's interesting to track how long it takes for an addon update to hit users. My impression is around 30% get the update within 24 hours, with 90% having it within a week, and the rest are either slow adopters (autoupdates disabled) and new users.

We have obvious spikes in the weekends where clearly many folk have more time to use XBMC. Smile

Note that these numbers should not be compared to other numbers for obvious reasons. I know that the numbers we used to get on sourceforge seemed to be imaginary more than anything!

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Usage stats?0