• 5(current)
[PATCH] Deinterlacing support for DXVA2 accelerated playback
Yeah, I can crop a sample of the video. PM with how you want me to upload it, how long, etc.
It is ok to grab a nightly build and use the patch on page1 or the new builds come pre-patched already?
GRSHOPR

I managed to download some interlaced VC-1 samples and I have seen some funny results. I also had the de-interlace option during playback, BUT only with Ati hardware. With my ION, I have seen the DXVA deinterlace options. Still, none of the two could play the samples at all, only black screen with or without DXVA. I think we need interlaced VC-1 support from ffmpeg first (and then I think my patch will work correctly, but if not, I will take a look at it).

Carlos ze Dwarf

I downloaded a Canon 60i AVCHD file and was able to reproduce the issue. I also experienced that video playback also freezes if I try to seek in the file and I suspect this to be the root cause. Are you able to seek within the problematic AVCHD file by clicking on the seek bar during playback?

Changing the deinterlace method does reset the codec which I guess will perform a seek operation in the background (to continue playback from the same point). The automatic deinterlace method also does a reset because I have not yet found out how to determine the stream type before the processor is initialized. So the first frame is always decoded as progressive and only then will the correct deinterlace method be selected in current patch (which means a codec reset).
I actually discovered something interesting today, while poking around for the heck of it. I now have the option for BOB, Best, etc, but only in the movies section, not in TV shows. Also, if I set it to BOB, and then close xbmc, and then reopen it, it has reset itself to disabled. I even tried the option "set as default for all movies". Is that a feature designed intentionally, or just a glitch?

Edit: I tried out some MPEG2 video, 1080i, no problems. Looks like it may just be VC-1. FFmpged does already support progressive VC-1, not sure about interlaced.
a11599 Wrote:Carlos ze Dwarf

Are you able to seek within the problematic AVCHD file by clicking on the seek bar during playback?

Yes i could still seek within the file, and sound was fine. (only way to know if the seeking happened, since video was frozen)

Thanks for explaining the issue Wink
Dual screen setup - HDMI/TV (sound on Digital Audio toslink) - DVI/PC Monitor
AMD PII 955 (3.2GHz) - 4GB DDR3 - Geforce GT 240 - Win7 x64
Is there any updated version with interlace patch? Or is there a way for the non programmer skills savvy user to patch their version with the deinterlacing options?
I would like to be able to use nightly builds along with this feature.
StevenSeagull Wrote:Is there any updated version with interlace patch? Or is there a way for the non programmer skills savvy user to patch their version with the deinterlacing options?
I would like to be able to use nightly builds along with this feature.

Look through this post..... The OP has created builds....
v5 of the patch is here. Nerd It introduces major changes in the code to separate decoder and video processor functions. The patch also brings two new features.

Quick switch
Change deinterlace method without resetting the codec. This provides an almost seamless playback experience with minimum/no stuttering when deinterlace method is changed. It also fixes first frame freeze error with Canon AVCHD videos.

Advanced settings
Supports advancedsettings.xml to tweak the behavior of the patch. The patch should work fine out of the box without tweaks, but in case you have some specific problems like decoding errors with high definition material with automatic deinterlace method you can fix them now via advancedsettings.xml entries. See the first post in this thread for details.

This new version was tested on Radeon 3450, 3850, Mobility Radeon 5145 and ION. My build has been updated and is available immediately for download from the same location. This build is still based on end of March GIT version, so it works with Dharma add-ons, but the patch attached to the trac ticket can be applied to current GIT version - if you want to build your own nightly.

I would be happy to hear feedback especially from Intel GMA and nVidia users. I think the issues have been ironed out now and if the feedbacks are positive I will submit a pull request.
A BIG thank you!!! This was my single biggest request with respect to new features in XBMC

The new patch works perfectly on an ION.
a11599 Wrote:v5 of the patch is here. Nerd It introduces major changes in the code to separate decoder and video processor functions. The patch also brings two new features.

Brilliant!

Now that you have in-depth knowledge of the code, dare I ask you a question - are the still significant dependencies between decoder and processor parts? I've been wondering if the DXVA processor could be directly opened without the decoder, to use it as output method for frames decoded by ffmpeg. Without prior experience (just by looking at MSDN's DXVA processor info), this looks rather simple, if DVDPlayer's architecture doesn't make it too difficult.
Not actually, the processor was a pretty much standalone object already, but my older deinterlace patches made it somewhat messy which is now fixed in v5. The DXVA decoder however has some dependency on the processor, but that is not an issue. I also think the DXVA processor can be used with software decoded material as well and if that is true, then it can definitely be done, dvdplayer architecture does not seem to be an issue here.
Hi, i'm using your build with all the tricks. Smile Just wondering... when de-interlacing is 'automatic', is it 'on' when i'm watching non-interlaced material? Or do i have to switch it always 'off' for movies and 'on' for television-streams? Does it autodetect interlaced material? Works nice anyway... Using AMD Zacate.
It depends on what the stream tells. If it says "I'm interlaced", then deinterlace is turned on. Otherwise, it is not engaged. For h.264, this information is very reliable. For MPEG-2, not that much... Especially for DVDs, many films were mastered with interlaced flags while the content is progressive in most cases. As I see, there are some attempts in libmpeg-2 to correct this, but have not dived into it too deeply. But DXVA is not used for DVD playback at the moment anyways.

So in most cases, "Automatic" should work correctly and should not attempt to deinterlace progressive material. You can also check it yourself. If you bring up the info dialog ("o" button) during playback you should see two values: P(fr:X) and W(fps:Y). If the two values match, the video is rendered as progressive. If W(fps) = 2 x P(fr), the source is deinterlaced.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought there was no thing as true 'DXVA deinterlacing' ? Isn't all deinterlacing is done by the graphic driver ? With the DXVA method "DeinterlaceQueryAvailableModes" you just query the graphic driver for available deinterlacing methods (these are the same ones you can select in the ATI driver panel). Then DXVA just uses a callback to the driver deinterlace methods.

So in other words, you can as well just select a driver deinterlace method in the ATI control panel instead. Or am I missing something ?

The way I understood it (but again, I could be terribly wrong here) is that if you select 'automatic' in the ATI panel, then that just means that the driver let's the player choose one of the driver supplied methods. So if you choose one directly in the ATI control panel, or set it to 'automatic' and then use DXVA in XBMC to select that same method, there'll be no actual difference, or is my understanding wrong ? You obviously know a lot about it, a11599, so I was hoping you could explain. Thanks !
Thank you very much for your hard work. I can now watch flawlessly my 1080i footage on my brand new AMD E-350 Zacate HTPC.
There is an issue though, having no ideea about patching builds and compiling, i used the installer kindly provided in your signature. But now, i am unable to use file-view in videos anymore. It defaults to library mode and the option to disable it is missing.
Even though i have made the settings in order to view file extensions and averything else in order to reenable file-view, i had no luck.

Any ideea what might be wrong and what could i do to solve it?

Keep up the good work.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Deinterlacing support for DXVA2 accelerated playback3