[ATV2] 1080p heavy framedrops
Question 
hi all

the ATV2 FAQ says:
Q: You say XBMC can do 1080p but it only display's 720p! You liar!
A: XBMC can decode 1080p video's but atm the ATV2 is limited to display 720p output only. Its still a question if this is hardware limited or software limited. Currently this has no priority.

But:
Today i tested ten 1080p mkv movies and as soon as the bitrate jumps above 12Mbit i have heavy frame drops and fps is decreasing from 23,x to 14,x.

So, is the ATV2 able to decode 1080p with "common" bitrates or not? Rolleyes
Yes XBMC on the Apple TV 2 will decode and playback 1080p media
Yes XBMC on the Apple TV 2 will have problems with high bitrate content due to limited processing capabilities.

Please remember you're playing back Full HD media on a device that is based on mobile hardware, ie it is a trimmed down iPad... it is not a full blown media centre.

Also the device only outputs 720p so while yes you can play 1080p media it is being downsized to 720p.

I have just tested with a BD rip (ripped from my own collection not downloaded) that is 16:9 1080p, it's average bitrate is 7.7mbps, max bitrate is 32mbps. The video is playing perfectly with only minor frame drops in the high bitrate scenes.

Just keep in mind that yes XBMC can decode 1080p however Apples specs list max resolution as 720p, no where in Apples documentation does it imply that the Apple TV 2 can playback 1080p.

Take the Apple TV 2 for what it is and don't expect miracles from low powered hardware, you can only do so much with a system that's peak power consumption is 6 watts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] 1080p heavy framedrops0