New to XBMC and new setup
Hello everyone,
Bare with me I am new to XBMC and want to make sure my setup goes smooth and use best practices for XBMC. I would like to be able to view all my media from all parts of my house and have the content centrally located. I was wondering if the scrappers store all the information about my media in a central DB or with the media. I am not sure if I have to set up an XBMC back end server for all the information. I am planning on using Apple TV boxes unless that is not a good idea. Any help or suggestions would be great.

My Plans
FreeNas (in Comm Closet)
MythTV Backend (in Comm Closet)
Apple TV attached to TV's
extremeshannon Wrote:Hello everyone,
Bare with me I am new to XBMC and want to make sure my setup goes smooth and use best practices for XBMC. I would like to be able to view all my media from all parts of my house and have the content centrally located.

../..

My Plans
FreeNas (in Comm Closet)
MythTV Backend (in Comm Closet)
Apple TV attached to TV's

If you have HD content (720p, 1080p) the apple tv require a addon card (cristal hd), Gigabit network is the way to go if you plan to stream blu-ray rips to more than 3 devices

extremeshannon Wrote:I was wondering if the scrappers store all the information about my media in a central DB or with the media. I am not sure if I have to set up an XBMC back end server for all the information. I am planning on using Apple TV boxes unless that is not a good idea. Any help or suggestions would be great.

You don't need a XBMC back end server. By default, XBMC store the datas in a local DB (on the ATV), but you can use a central DB (search "MySQL" and its complement "share thumbnail" )
My name is Erier, Humf Erier
extremeshannon Wrote:MythTV Backend (in Comm Closet)

To me this means you need to play interlaced video- interlaced video will eat an Apple TV (1 or 2) alive. Heck, even ION systems struggle with de-interlacing.

Big Grin 
Thanks for the response. If the Apple TV is going to have a hard time what could I use instead. I would like to go with a small form factor case and conserve power but at the same time I want my movies to play correctly.

I am running Cat 6 through out the house. I will have a Gig Switch for all the connections in the house. My servers will all have 1-2 gig network connections. Everything will be home run to to the Gig Switch.

I am planning on spending the money to do it correctly the first time if I can. My goal is to have the XBMC on the tv and all tv programs, movies, audio and ect.. go through this one bax and not have to switch between systems or devices.

I am also planning on using Direct TV for my sat provider.

Thanks a lot and keep the suggestions coming Smile
Something ION2 can de-interlace well enough (you use the optimized setting for ION). Here is a fanless model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

I am thinking about building these for my HTPC. Any suggestions would be great or if you see any problems. Thanks

[ASUS AT5IONT-I Intel Atom D525]Asus ION

[RAM 2x2gb ddr3 1333 CL7] Kingston HyperX

[Case ITX] Mini-box M350

[8GB SSD] Kingston SSDNow 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:90MB/s Write:30MB/s

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC and new setup0