sigma or ion
katwax Wrote:Because I want to use xbmc live. I just think windows 7 is overkill for a device that only needs to play movies.
So after looking into this board, it seems that for xbmc live ion is the best gpu.

Yes ION/ION2 is best for XBMC live.

I used to own a Popcornhour, in fact two, first a A100 and then a C200, I switched to a ION based HTPC a year ago and never looked back. PQ is at least as good (I have a 2 meter projector screen so I would notice even small differences) and development of XBMC is a lot more fast paced.

What I hated most about the PCH is that bugs (even disruptive annoying ones) would take forever to be fixed and many still haven't been fixed and probably never will.

It is ridiculous how the fanbois on the PCH forum keep telling people to be patient and wait for the next update, this has been going on for years, I certainly don't have the patience for that.
ion_man Wrote:It is ridiculous how the fanbois on the PCH forum keep telling people to be patient and wait for the next update, this has been going on for years, I certainly don't have the patience for that.

+1

instead of waiting for companies to fix their issues
i decided to buy myself something that just works!

i dont have to wait for nobody here...

and i repeat, those media players box's are so limited in what u can do with them...

as with your HTPC, you can do everything!!

SURF FULL INTERNET
BITSTREAM HD-AUDIO
PLAY ANY FILES
PLAY ANY FORMATS
WATCH NETFLIX
RECORD HDTV

i mean, u can just do it all with the correct hardware,,,,
So what would be the better option, to buy a barebone like Shuttle XS35GT / ZOTAC ZBOXHD-ID11 (any other?) or build it myself?

Because it has to be near my tv the shuttle seems better because it has no fans.

Btw don't get me wrong I'm not a windows hater, I earn my living as a microsoft system engineer, but windows isn't made with as main purpose to play video and xbmc live is.
no issues in playing movies under win7 here...
not at all...

i always suggest "users who are able to"
to build their own HTPC...

those who dont want to take that plunge i suggest a pre-built NETTOP...

just make sure which OS u wanna run because,
this will obviously affect which system you'll buy...

Like dont mix ATI + LINUX...
it'll give you HeadAches....
and drivers aren't officially out...
there's custom drivers that open source community is trying to put up but,
like i said, i suggest u dont mix ATI + LINUX together for now....

NVIDIA graphics are the way to go for LINUX....
I don't mean windows 7 can't play video, but it's like buying a ferrari and never go behind second gear. If you would like to have a device that plays video, games, surf the net, streaming, ... it's great, but i only need it to play videos.

So could I built one for the same price as a nettop (yes I looked at your post) with better specs?
When you have one let us know what you think of the difference in PQ between the PCH and ION with SD material kind of interested to know myself plus it might help others who have a similar question especially as you have a 50" which is about the size you start to notice differences

You don't need to worry about 720p or 1080p because the scaling involved is minimal

I don't think your be disappointed with any ion product I bought my parents one and seriously wished I had got it before I ordered the parts for my build as I would have just purchased another for myself instead Rolleyes

I actually run DSPlayer on there's and use ffdshow with software up scaling for SD Laugh
katwax Wrote:I don't mean windows 7 can't play video, but it's like buying a ferrari and never go behind second gear. If you would like to have a device that plays video, games, surf the net, streaming, ... it's great, but i only need it to play videos.

So could I built one for the same price as a nettop (yes I looked at your post) with better specs?

Well windows is like an old ford fiesta, it'll get you there and you can play some games in the backseat but its neither fast, stylish or fun.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
katwax Wrote:So could I built one for the same price as a nettop (yes I looked at your post) with better specs?

basically yes!
eskro Wrote:basically yes!

But as you get started you mostly will top it? :p

I tried to get custom parts but it seems hard to stay under the price of a nettop :/
>>X<<' Wrote:When you have one let us know what you think of the difference in PQ between the PCH and ION with SD material kind of interested to know myself plus it might help others who have a similar question especially as you have a 50" which is about the size you start to notice differences

Will do some one on one testing between my 110 and the htpc (once I decided) Smile
I will update this topic with the results.
options:
XS35GT Atom D510 BK NM10
Kingston HyperX 2 GB DDR2-800
OCZ Solid-State Disk 2,5" 30 GB
380 euro

Antec SK 310-150 Mini ITX
ASUS AT5IONT-I Deluxe
Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 2 GB DDR3
390 euro

Antec SK 310-150 Mini ITX
ASUS AT5NM10-I
Kingston HyperX 2 GB DDR2-800
EVGA GeForce GT 440
267 euro

The last one is not ion based, but it's a GT440 so it's better than ion2? Would it be better to take ASUS EN210 Silent/DI instead of the GT 440 because the 440 has a fan and the 210 hasn't.
your GT440 build doesnt work,,,,
were will u fit that video card on that motherboard?

Also, u plan in using Linux or WIndows?
xbmc live, so linux Smile

So I need an other mobo for the 440 or an other gpu?
your mobo needs at least one PCI EXPRESS 2.0 x16 slot....

get a gt210 if u dont need to play 3d movies and bitstream hd audio
get a gt430 if u need to play 3d movies and bitstream hd audio
It's hard to find a mobo with atom cpu and pci express 2.0 x16 it seems, only have the asus AT5IONT-I deluxe or the ASRock A330ION.
So it seems I have to go with atom and ion(2) or no atom and GT210.

Why would you prefer the custom asus over the shuttle?
Will I notice any advantage with the asus vs the asrock, if i only use it to play video?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sigma or ion0