Newbie requesting help getting started
Hi, I've previously used the classic XBMC on the old XBOX, back in the days. My current experience on setting up HTPC comes from using the old Meedios a couples of years ago. Since then I've been looking on the new version of this media center; MeediOS. Now I'm getting around setting up a true stand-alone HTPC. My prority at the moment is getting started with the project and gettings things up and running without spending to much time doing so. I require a fast and stable frontend, so I finally decided to convert back to XBMC Smile.

Somethings might not suit me entierly such as some limitations regarding customizing menu's and such. But I might get back to that later.

My questions right now are

1. I want to use the Aeon type of skin. I've been testing and comparing AEON65 and Aeon Nox since these are the ones that I like most. I've come to the conclusion that Nox will be my choice. However there's one detail I would like to change in Nox wich AEON65 does better. I'm using the "Show Case" view for my movies and I would like to have the info panel to popup for each item, BUT with a DELAY. Such that it wont show up if you browse, but only if you stop over an item for lets say 2 seconds maybe. In settings you can specify a delay for it to auto hide, but I want this function inverted, like in AEON65, could this be done? If not by settings (if I've missed it), by an easy hack or could it be implemented in a newer version of the skin?

2. Is it possible to implement a widget (or something similar) in the "Show Case" view with a box contaning the category nodes (such as genre, year, director etc, and maybe search?), it should be available at all time like an overlay. I realize that going up one level in the library would show that list. But the reason I want this is beacuse it would make the experience more user friendly and easier to understand for people with little knowledge of xbmc.

Thats all for now Smile Thanks!
Blarre72 Wrote:Hi, I've previously used the classic XBMC on the old XBOX, back in the days. My current experience on setting up HTPC comes from using the old Meedios a couples of years ago. Since then I've been looking on the new version of this media center; MeediOS. Now I'm getting around setting up a true stand-alone HTPC. My prority at the moment is getting started with the project and gettings things up and running without spending to much time doing so. I require a fast and stable frontend, so I finally decided to convert back to XBMC Smile.

Somethings might not suit me entierly such as some limitations regarding customizing menu's and such. But I might get back to that later.

My questions right now are

1. I want to use the Aeon type of skin. I've been testing and comparing AEON65 and Aeon Nox since these are the ones that I like most. I've come to the conclusion that Nox will be my choice. However there's one detail I would like to change in Nox wich AEON65 does better. I'm using the "Show Case" view for my movies and I would like to have the info panel to popup for each item, BUT with a DELAY. Such that it wont show up if you browse, but only if you stop over an item for lets say 2 seconds maybe. In settings you can specify a delay for it to auto hide, but I want this function inverted, like in AEON65, could this be done? If not by settings (if I've missed it), by an easy hack or could it be implemented in a newer version of the skin?

2. Is it possible to implement a widget (or something similar) in the "Show Case" view with a box contaning the category nodes (such as genre, year, director etc, and maybe search?), it should be available at all time like an overlay. I realize that going up one level in the library would show that list. But the reason I want this is beacuse it would make the experience more user friendly and easier to understand for people with little knowledge of xbmc.

Thats all for now Smile Thanks!
You can enable the infopanel to be automatically hidden by enabling the option - Auto Hide in the media menu. (The option becomes visible after selecting Infopanel in the media menu). You can set the default timeout for the infopanel in the Viewtype option under system-->skin-->viewtype options:
Set Time-out for Auto Hide Infopanel (when I read this back, it might not be the best solution the seperate these options, I will add it also in the media menu I think).
Try enabling the option Enable Breadcrumbs in system-->skin-->General settings, it might not be axactly what you mean, but it tells you in what view you currently are.
Big_Noid Wrote:You can enable the infopanel to be automatically hidden by enabling the option - Auto Hide in the media menu. (The option becomes visible after selecting Infopanel in the media menu). You can set the default timeout for the infopanel in the Viewtype option under system-->skin-->viewtype options:
Set Time-out for Auto Hide Infopanel (when I read this back, it might not be the best solution the seperate these options, I will add it also in the media menu I think).
Try enabling the option Enable Breadcrumbs in system-->skin-->General settings, it might not be axactly what you mean, but it tells you in what view you currently are.
Thank you for your fast reply!

I think you missunderstood my first question. I know that you can set the infopanel to auto hide, but I want the opposite actually. I want the panel to auto show with a delay if you stop over an item (like in aeon65). And hide again when you start browsing.

I've tried the "Breadcrumbs" option already and as you said it's not exactly what I'm after. I like to have the category nodes in an window like an extra menu. Almost like media menu/view type options window. An alternative would be if it's possible to always show the category node level as default when entering the library. Is this possible?
Blarre72 Wrote:Thank you for your fast reply!

I think you missunderstood my first question. I know that you can set the infopanel to auto hide, but I want the opposite actually. I want the panel to auto show with a delay if you stop over an item (like in aeon65). And hide again when you start browsing.

I've tried the "Breadcrumbs" option already and as you said it's not exactly what I'm after. I like to have the category nodes in an window like an extra menu. Almost like media menu/view type options window. An alternative would be if it's possible to always show the category node level as default when entering the library. Is this possible?
Have you tried the option Auto hide, because it does exactly what you describe. It hides the infopanel when browsing and then pops up after x seconds if you stop on an item. Maybe I should rename to auto show?
Yeah, I think I will add the category node to the breadcrumbs section.
Big_Noid Wrote:Have you tried the option Auto hide, because it does exactly what you describe. It hides the infopanel when browsing and then pops up after x seconds if you stop on an item. Maybe I should rename to auto show?
Yeah, I think I will add the category node to the breadcrumbs section.
Hey, I stand corrected, the info panel actually works the way you descibed it Smile Great! I just thought it was the other way around and din't bother setting the timeout value :o. After trying this it now works as I want it to! Sorry for being stupid Tongue. But as you said, maybe it should be renamed auto show? Thank you for your fast responses btw.

If you would implement the category nodes in breadcrumbs that would be great, but does it mean it will be clickable so that you can use it to navigate?

HuhHuh I also asked if it's possible to show the category nodes as starting level when opening the movies library everytime, that's actually a general xbmc question I think, so does anybody else know about this? Also does anyone knows how to write widgets to use in the Show Case view?

And I got a new tricky question/request for you too; If you choose to use the extrathumbs option in the info panel, it would be nice if it shows the poster or fanart if extrathumbs are missing. Or an alternative to use both poster and extrathumbs.

Thanks, you are doing a great jobb on this skin Smile!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie requesting help getting started0