Files direct off of apple time capsule
I have my ATV2 hooked via ethernet directly into my time capsule.
I have allot of files on the time capsule and some on my iMac.

My question is this.
Can you play files directly from the time capsule or do they have to come from the Mac?
I had asked once in the apple forums and I am assuming ghat they meant not jail broken but I was told files have to be on your Mac or pc if they were on the time capsule it would be really slow because the atv2 would go to the Mac first then grab them off the TC back to the Mac then to the ATV2.

Thanks for the help
This was the 2nd link returned by google...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93515

The answers you received at Apples site are true when your using Apples Frontrow interface which requires iTunes to stream local media to the ATV, however XBMC does not rely on iTunes...
Playing files directly from the time capsule is the best way with xbmc.
dazex Wrote:Playing files directly from the time capsule is the best way with xbmc.

I thought maybe so since it's connected via Ethernet vs wifi.

Anyway I can't use it it seems. I have enabled file sharing in the airport menu and even share files over wan. When i go to add source i see the TC under smb and then workgroup. But when I click on TC nothing happens and I can't click ok.

Then I tried it the way I see my Mac under the zeroconfig and i see it there along with my Mac. When I click on the Mac i see my folders when I click on TC nothing happens.

Any ideas
ilovemymac Wrote:I thought maybe so since it's connected via Ethernet vs wifi.

Anyway I can't use it it seems. I have enabled file sharing in the airport menu and even share files over wan. When i go to add source i see the TC under smb and then workgroup. But when I click on TC nothing happens and I can't click ok.

Then I tried it the way I see my Mac under the zeroconfig and i see it there along with my Mac. When I click on the Mac i see my folders when I click on TC nothing happens.

Any ideas

Be sure to click on the Enable Guest Access checkbox in the file sharing pane of Airport Utility.
Eric_S Wrote:Be sure to click on the Enable Guest Access checkbox in the file sharing pane of Airport Utility.

Yes did that already.
I remember seeing someone posted a screenshot or a write up on what option to set for time capsule/airport extreme.

I don't have the device so I can't walk you through the setting. I am sure it's a simple setting somewhere.

Try searching the forum.
Manually add the source as SMB. Point it to the ip address of the time capsule and the name of the share.
turbopanther Wrote:Manually add the source as SMB. Point it to the ip address of the time capsule and the name of the share.

Hw do you do that? When i go to smb and find the time capsule it says operation not permitted.
Had a long fight with my TC just the other day adding it, here is what I did

My pretend names:
Timecapsule - Mytime
Main Disk - Timedisk
Movie folder - Vids
IP 10.0.1.1 (usual for Time Capsule)
And Timecapsule password - password

In XBMC main
Video > Add Source > Browse > Add Network Location

Protocol: SMB
Server Name: ( IP Address of TC) 10.0.1.1
Shared Folder: Timedisk/Vids
Port leave as 0
Username: Mytime
Password: password

Hope this makes sense to you, have mine working great now, took forever to find out how to do it properly.
tri99er Wrote:Had a long fight with my TC just the other day adding it, here is what I did

My pretend names:
Timecapsule - Mytime
Main Disk - Timedisk
Movie folder - Vids
IP 10.0.1.1 (usual for Time Capsule)
And Timecapsule password - password

In XBMC main
Video > Add Source > Browse > Add Network Location

Protocol: SMB
Server Name: ( IP Address of TC) 10.0.1.1
Shared Folder: Timedisk/Vids
Port leave as 0
Username: Mytime
Password: password

Hope this makes sense to you, have mine working great now, took forever to find out how to do it properly.

YAY it worked. I had to go about it slightly different. It first when i would enter the Ip and go to the shared folder it kept saying operation not allowed.

The only reason im doing this is my internet is right in the same room and my TC is right there. I have my Directv hooked into it wired and then the ATV2 is wired into it now and my VOIP as well.

I hope this offers me better streaming then having the files on the computer. I have not had trouble withto many i did have a 13GB MKV file that it acted like it had a hard time with.

If i understand correctly it is going directly into the TC now and not through my mac then into the TC?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Files direct off of apple time capsule0