RSV-S5 slow speed?
Hello XBMC forum

I have just bought a Rosewill RSV-S5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6816132015), i have installed 5x1,5Tb Western Digital Green disks in it. After that have i created a Raid5 on them all with the software that followed with the hardware.
Not the raid it self works fine, but it is SLOW, i can only obtain a maximum of 25 MB/s, and if SABnzbd+ is downloading with 5 MB/s is it having a hard time steaming a normal DIVX (700 mb) movie.
Is this normal or is there something wrong?

Edit: should be able to handel 3 Gbps = 384 megabytes / second
The problem is that the disks fight each other for that bandwidth. 4 drives sharing one sata channel, if more than one is active it will be slow.

With that said, it should be able to stream a divx movie easily. Maybe a network issue?

As you can see am i only downloadeing with 3,76 MB/s and i'm trying to watch V s02e08 (720p), but it is completly unwatchable, as i can see 30 sek, and the it buffs for 20 sek.
Edit: Other information there might be required
I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2, optimized for program performance. Windows is installed on a 60GB SSD.
I have a 50 Mb/s internet connection and a 1 Gb/s LAN, all connected with Cat6 Ethernet cabels.
The MCE is using a Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R motherboard with 2 GB DDR2 ram.
Maybe a drive is bad. I had a 1.5TB WD drive that looked fine otherwise but would stutter on playback. WD RMAed it without question. Hard part is finding out which one.

Maybe undo the raid and test them one at a time to find the culprit?

poofyhairguy Wrote:Maybe a drive is bad. I had a 1.5TB WD drive that looked fine otherwise but would stutter on playback. WD RMAed it without question. Hard part is finding out which one.

Maybe undo the raid and test them one at a time to find the culprit?

They where used in a Windows Server 2008 R2 software raid 5 before i moved them to the RSV-S5, and it all worked perfectly there, so i'm sure that it is not the disks there is the problem.
Maby it wold help if i created the raid without the software that followed with the device, and use the functions build within windows server 2008 r2
I have found this

Quote:Pros: Enclosure for 5x2TB hard drive is fine. This is basically a rebranded San Digital TR5M-B product. For support Rosewill tells you to contact San Digital. No direct support from Silicon Image for the computer raid card.

Cons: Includes computer Silicon Image 3132 raid card, extremely slow raid 5 write (our tests ~10MB/s). Compare to regular internal local drive write 30-60MB/s. We basically dumped the Sil3132 card and replaced with High Point RocketRaid 622 card for extra $69.99. Note for RR622, turn off ECRC (end to end CRC check) for card to work on IBM xserver. What took 12hrs to copy now took 2-3hrs. San Digital realized the problem and has the newer model TR5M-BP TowerRaid Plus that comes with High Point RocketRaid 622 card. Rosewill should discontinue this product and go with TR5M-BP. Could not get Silicon Image raid management software to work with complicated 2008R2 server with 10 NICs, application doesn't know how to talk to localhost port with all those NICs. No updates from Silicon Image and support from San Digital ignored. Gave up on Sil3132 card. Save yourself from alot of heahaches, get the RR622 card too if you are going to buy this product.

Other Thoughts: The newer model is TR5M-BP TowerRaid Plus, comes with High Point RocketRaid 622 raid card for the PC instead of Silicon Image Sil3132. According to San Digital, raid 5 performance for Sil3132 read 80MB/s write 19MB/s, and RR622 read 154MB/s write 149MB/s. Our RR622 tests gave (8TB raid 5) write ~80-110MB/s copying 40GB file took 8mins.
So ia have now ordered a HighPoint RocketRAID 622 2P ext SATA III and hopes that it will solve my problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RSV-S5 slow speed?0