Nothing plays well on ATV2?
Question 
I have it installed, and created some SMB shares, and:

1) DVD mpegs have horrible interlacing
2) 1080i MPEGs are choppy and unwatchable
3) No audio at all (configured for HDMI audio and DTS/DD passthrough, going through Denon AVR)

I tried setting up an HTTP share, but it said it couldn't contact it (but it's there).

Any ideas? I have a QNAP 809 Pro NAS, so can use pretty much any protocol.

Is XBMC on the ATV2 just not ready for users yet? Or is there something in my setup wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!
What version iOS?
Which jailbreak did you use?
How did you install XBMC?
if you have installed the mediaplayer from firecore - deinstall it. I've had no audio passthrough also while the mediaplayer was installed ...
AbMagFab Wrote:I have it installed, and created some SMB shares, and:

Is XBMC on the ATV2 just not ready for users yet? Or is there something in my setup wrong?

Honestly, I am a bit of a "dim wit" and I managed to set it up pretty easily. Just follow the instructions in the forum. I took me about 15 minutes.

One word of caution, make sure that you are wired, when you update the library, it can take a long time to download artwork.

Persevere and read the instructions. You will manage to do it. And it is fantastic.
Yeah, if you have a ton of HD interlaced content not only is the ATV2 not good enough, neither is most ION systems.

As a rule: Interlaced content is the harshest non-3D stuff out there.

AbMagFab Wrote:I have it installed, and created some SMB shares, and:

1) DVD mpegs have horrible interlacing
2) 1080i MPEGs are choppy and unwatchable
3) No audio at all (configured for HDMI audio and DTS/DD passthrough, going through Denon AVR)

I tried setting up an HTTP share, but it said it couldn't contact it (but it's there).

Any ideas? I have a QNAP 809 Pro NAS, so can use pretty much any protocol.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm re-ripping and converting all my movies to h.264 mkvs. Even my blu-ray rips are not laggy, and it's working quite well.
Can you set the audio output to analog and try to play files again please?
I'm an old-school XBMC on the XBox 1 user, and have been searching for a replacement ever since.

I used Seas0nPass to JB, then Firecore, and then within XBMC upgraded anything that needed it.

I will not be reripping everything again. I'm past that, and will just use the Popcorn hour until something better comes along.

I will try analog when I get home and post results.

Is a Mac Mini a better alternative? Will I get full 1080p M2TS rips playing with full HD audio and no stuttering or any other issues? I don't want to go back to a Windows solution, as they all failed miserably.

Thanks in advance!
Ok just my point of view...
I jailbreaked my atv2 4.2.1 with seasonpass and putt atv flash on it. Installed xbmc through atv flash and i must say that i had some buffering issue on 720 mkv.
Then i made the mistake of updating to 4.3 and luckily apple started signing 4.2.1 again, so i could downgrade...
This time i jailbreaked with greanpoison and installed xbmc through terminal commands. No seasonpass and no atv flash.
Since then i had not a single buffering issue. No mather what i watch, i don't have any buffering...
Hope this can help...
A MacMini is very good, i have had no issue playing anything. So far 100% happy. This is on a 2010 MacMini with 4gb's ram. Blows away the Apple TV.XBMC on the Apple TV is rather poor.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nothing plays well on ATV2?0