HD Videos buffer every couple minutes
I just built a new sandy bridge media center. When I playback HD videos, it buffers for a split second every couple of minutes. The movie pauses briefly and buffers for a second. I've got 3 other XBMC media centers in my house and all of them have worse hardware specs than this new build. None of my other XBMC boxes experience this problem. All of the computers are on the same gigabit network. They all access the same video files from my server.

When I playback videos outside of XBMC on the new computer, it has no problems. The buffering issue is only experienced from within XBMC.

Here are the specs of the new computer with the problem:

ASRock H67M-ITX motherboard
Intel Core i3 CPU
4gigs DDR3 RAM
Gigabit network
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
ghostelement Wrote:I just built a new sandy bridge media center. When I playback HD videos, it buffers for a split second every couple of minutes. The movie pauses briefly and buffers for a second. I've got 3 other XBMC media centers in my house and all of them have worse hardware specs than this new build. None of my other XBMC boxes experience this problem. All of the computers are on the same gigabit network. They all access the same video files from my server.

When I playback videos outside of XBMC on the new computer, it has no problems. The buffering issue is only experienced from within XBMC.

Here are the specs of the new computer with the problem:

ASRock H67M-ITX motherboard
Intel Core i3 CPU
4gigs DDR3 RAM
Gigabit network

Are you using a Graphics Card or using the onboard graphics from the Motherboard?
there are many buffering issues since dharma, just try the search. it doesnt matter wich machine you have, sometimes these problems just happen. Some guys tried older NIC drivers wich fixed it, for me it helped switching the skin and so on..
dchristey Wrote:Are you using a Graphics Card or using the onboard graphics from the Motherboard?

I'm using the onboard graphics.
scottbrant.net - Blog
ghostelement Wrote:I'm using the onboard graphics.

I have always used a separate Graphics Card to stream my HD, but I think the on board should be sufficient - certainly with the new Motherboards.

Have you got the latest drivers installed?
dchristey Wrote:I have always used a separate Graphics Card to stream my HD, but I think the on board should be sufficient - certainly with the new Motherboards.

Have you got the latest drivers installed?

Yes I have the latest drivers installed. The onboard graphics are obviously sufficient enough for this type of playback. The entire chipset was designed around this type of thing.
scottbrant.net - Blog
I've been getting some buffering on my XBMC boxes, one a Revo running live, and one a windows laptop. I connect to my server over SMB using gigabit lan.

I think that the buffering is coming from the server, ie, the hdds are spinning down and the buffering appears when the hdd needs to spin back up... but this is just conjecture on my own setup Oo
I know mine isn't an issue with drives on the server spinning down. My server has 6x 2tb drives in RAID 5. They don't spin down.
scottbrant.net - Blog
Well,

what I can tell about this is - since Dharma I have this issues - cause that´s the only thing that changed in my environment.

And it seems to be related to network/smb - maybe, don´t know if there have been special changes in that area, but I compared a couple of movies in on the old and on the newer versions by playback from my WHS. The newer ones get stuck a couple of times (which is really no home theatre experience if you ask my girlfriend ...). We agreed to use MPC for playback ... and there we don´t have that issues now compared to XBMC ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Videos buffer every couple minutes0