[PATCHES] File-based streaming cache patches
Elupus made this commit adding rudimentary support for file-based streaming cache, which is awesome news.

i would also like to point out tiben20's work on some nice patches recently, that have been produced at the request of addon coders/users (me lol Rofl). his latest patch enables the file cache path to be configurable from python like so:
PHP Code:
save_destination 'f:\downloads\destination.mp4'

xbmc.Playerxbmc.PLAYER_CORE_DVDPLAYER ).playstr(url), listitem,downloaddest save_destination

this is really good news for addon coders, who want to:

a) get rid of intermittent buffering issues when streaming
b) fix an issue where pausing for too long on certain video hosts kills the stream
c) save a video that has been streamed

and potentially (tiben20's patch doesn't yet enable this):
d) enable skipping for streams that do not support skipping. ie. skip within the cache of what has been downloaded

AFAIK, tiben20's patch also essentially supports a graphic that displays buffer progress like this old trac ticket.

Would the other developers be comfortable with tiben's patches eventually making their way into trunk?
He still does not consider them finished, and has stated that he is completely willing to adjust the patches as per the recommendations of other team members.

UPDATE: Have made a trac ticket
very nice to hear for addon developers - thanks to all envolved!
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
i already see one bug without having tested. If you open a second url from another plugin the new url might overwrite the old file. If someone can test if i am right about this it would be great.
hey tiben, did you see this request ? is this possible, or would it require a lot of work
anarchintosh Wrote:d) enable skipping for streams that do not support skipping. ie. skip within the cache of what has been downloaded

also i think some users reported that the buffer graphics wasn't working (btw, i think that graphic has since been merged into trunk)
anarchintosh Wrote:hey tiben, did you see this request ? is this possible, or would it require a lot of work

also i think some users reported that the buffer graphics wasn't working (btw, i think that graphic has since been merged into trunk)
one solution that will work of course is to close and reopen the stream from the saved file when the download is complete. That would fix the problem with seeking when the file is complete. But for the currently issue for while it's downloading i bet it's just the dvdplayer requesting a position for seeking and my class don't return what it should. When i will have some time(tomorrow i'm not working Tongue) its going to be fixed
bump. everytime i look in Git repo, elupus is doing a lot of similiar commits, i wish he would see this patch and all the cool stuff it does!
It might be best having a git fork with the patches then submitting a Pull request. Git is quite busy, so it might have a better chance of being picked up...
I appreciate your enthusiasm but tiben is part of the team. When he deems this ready for inclusion he know how to proceed. Until then wait all this thread can achieve is pissing somebody off / put this off for longer just to make a point. I know I would.
understood spiff, i'll stop bumping.
i think you are right though, tiben does not feel happy with it (in its current state) going into trunk.

and i've managed to contact elupus now and discuss some stuff about filecache in his recent pull request: 86 (PR)

so i'm happy hes aware of it now (was worried he'd spend his valuable coding time duplicating some stuff).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCHES] File-based streaming cache patches0