Run XBMC on Windows XP via RDP crashes.
I have a server where I have Windows XP. I want a copy of XBMC to run here and use MySQL to store data. I want this copy to auto update the DB, so my other clients wont have to check for new media when they start up.

I connect to the server via RDP, but everytime I try to start XBMC I get this error:

CApplication::Create: Unable to init rendering system

All I need is for XBMC to run minimized so the webservice will work and I can get it to run scheduled library updates.

I assume it has something to do with this:
13:41:25 T:1748 M:756441088 NOTICE: AMD Sempron™ Processor LE-1250
13:41:25 T:1748 M:756436992 NOTICE: Desktop Resolution: 1280x1024 16Bit at 42Hz

However since it won't be showing any movies, can I disable the checks that require at least 24 bit?

How can I do this?
Running XBMC via RDP is not really supported but you can try running it on the server in a fullscreen window rather than in real full screen. I've heard that works sometimes.

Or you could just install XBMC on the PC you are using to RDP to the server and update the database that way. You will have to sync or symlink your thumbnails anyway so it wouldn't make much difference.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Making sure while Im RDPing if I exit XBMC its in a window (and therefore it will launch, in a window) and this works for me. On windows 7 mind you, but I assume it should work for all OS's.
Well I can't even start XBMC, so that's the first step I need to figure out.
Try the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml

Code:
<fullscreen>

Starts XBMC in full screen (check resolutions!). The same as starting XBMC with -fs.

<fullscreen>false</fullscreen>
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
djon Wrote:Well I can't even start XBMC, so that's the first step I need to figure out.

Run it locally or via VNC and set it to windowed (press backslash). XBMC remembers the state it was last run in.

JR
VNC works, but even though I set it up here, I still can't get it to work in RDP afterwards.
The problem is that RDP on Windows XP doesn't support high enough colour depth, that's why it won't start. VNC on the other hand uses a different approch (although not sure how) might be worth just sticking with that if you can.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run XBMC on Windows XP via RDP crashes.0