Updated: 3rd May 2011
Current release - Version 0.3.4
What is it?
XonX is a small addon which helps turn your XBMC server into a central media server(ish). Have a single XBMC instance scrape the library, then read that library on multiple XBMC clients.
- Browse movies and metadata from multiple XBMC instances
- Play media via the addon...
- Supports XBMC authentication (but you will lose fanart for some reason)
- Seeking on http delievered files doesn't work (bug logged: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11524)
- Watched status and resume time not updated to central library
- From your central XBMC server, add all sources
- On central server, scrape all media into the library
- On central server, enable HTTP access in Network Settings
- On client XBMC, load addon
- start addon and browse your media
- Select to play on client...
The addon uses the JSON-RPC interface to send and recieve messages. This interface is quite fluid in nightly builds, but I have tested this against 10.1.
At the moment I have only tested this with SMB shares and local server media. As JSON-RPS is still being improved for 11.0, then any suggestions could help further that work..
I doubt I'll spend much time updating this addon - as I don't utilise the library functionality of XBMC. It was more of a PoC to compliment my other non-XBMC media server. So if you want to look at the code it's here:
0.3.4 - Fixed TV Shows - added XBMC authentication (but you will lose fanart for some reason)
0.3.2 - Fix non-ASCII in local filenames
0.3.1 - play server media remotely
0.3 - fixed issue with different JSON responses from 10.1 and Pre-11..
0.2 - inital release