XBMC stutters during playback.
Hey all,

I have a problem with a tv show I'd like to watch through XBMC. I have the first season of Dexter in 720p. All files are compressed in x264, audio is AC3 5.1 and the files are .mkv

I can play these videos with no problem at all in VLC and BSplayer, but in XBMC they stutter horribly and I have no sound at all. Very strange, as I've ran videos with three times the bitrate of these in XBMC without trouble. I believe support for these files is flawed. Eek

if you need any more information by all means rub my face in it, I will provide it as quickly as possible.
Origin64 Wrote:Hey all,

I have a problem with a tv show I'd like to watch through XBMC. I have the first season of Dexter in 720p. All files are compressed in x264, audio is AC3 5.1 and the files are .mkv

I can play these videos with no problem at all in VLC and BSplayer, but in XBMC they stutter horribly and I have no sound at all. Very strange, as I've ran videos with three times the bitrate of these in XBMC without trouble. I believe support for these files is flawed. Eek

if you need any more information by all means rub my face in it, I will provide it as quickly as possible.

Hi,

There is not much information to go on here but...

1 - If your on XP.. Well, your screwed as XP and XBMC do not play well when it comes to hardware decoding (if your on a low powered pc such as an Atom for example) its just not going to work... You'd need to play the file in an external player such as MPC-HC and use hardware decoding.

2 - If your on windows 7... I beleive there is an option to turn on and enable DXVA2 within the xbmc settings.. (i'm unsure where this is as i am an XP user, but its there somewhere)

3 - If neoither of those options help, Post up your specs of your PC and your driver revisions, xbmc version and os version etc... That way it can be narrowed down a bit better :-)

Hope you resolve your issue, im still working on resolving a few of mine but its getting there :-)

Running Win7 on an AMD quadcore (965BE) with a GTX460. Driver is 166.something. I have a 2nd 460 coming in tomorrow, will update to latest driver then. believe its 170something.

XBMC version is 10.0 r35647

I already had DVAX2 on, turning it off didn't help.
when playing press O to display CPU and VPU usage percentage , then you'll see wheter its CPU or VPU
Please post a debug log (turn on debug logging first, then play the file for a couple minutes, then post the xbmc.log file on pastebin.com).
To build on what everyone else was saying, since you're on Windows 7 and you definitely have a Purevideo supported video card. Make sure you have the latest version of XBMC installed (Dharma v10.1), and the latest NVidia Drivers (v270.61 32-bit/64-bit), and make sure you enable DXVA2 support in XBMC.

If after doing all that doesn't work, then we'll need a debug log to see what isn't being wired up.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
OK, will do.
It's late now (where I'm at, at least) so you'll hear from me tomorrow.
Set scaling to Auto
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Can't find the Scaling option....wtf?
It's in the video settings dialog that you can select during playback, bilinear is the fastest.
Origin64, did you find a solution? I am experiencing the same issue, my hardware is pretty new I guess: Win 7 32bits + Radeon HD5670 + Amd Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz.

I tried nightly newer builds (with clean profile folder) instead of 10.1 and the same issue happens.

I tried all the combinations DXVA on/off, scalling and nothing...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC stutters during playback.0