Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: FAT-X character limitations are too bad!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
22-05-2005 changed: ftpserver now shortens names and
replaces illegal chars (fat-x limitations)

notice this change,but i am a chinese charset user,so i
can't trans the chinese name files to xbox , so only use
evox or unleashx.

can make this as a option ?

i report this bug to sf
http://sourceforge.net/tracker....=581838
why is this bad?

all it means is if you ftp a file to the xbox with a filename that the xbox filesystem won't accept, it'll rename it.

i don't see what this has to do with unicode at all.
newftp fat-x fix is good only problems is if 2 movies get shortend to same name only one is on the drive when finished and there is no warnings this has happened, so you have to make sure you know what your doing eg

movie name:
the lord of the rings-ptdvd-22-12-2004-dvdrip-movie1.avi
the lord of the rings-ptdvd-22-12-2004-dvdrip-movie2.avi

would end up something like

the lord of the rings-ptdvd-22-12-2004-dvdri.avi

not a bug just something to watch for cheers
firstly that shouldn't happen for those particular files (as we only have to worry about the number of characters in the filename, not the entire path).

secondly, if you have your ftp client set to auto-overwrite, then ofcourse that will happen. set it to warn before overwriting. if it is set to warn before overwriting and it doesn't warn you, then we might have a bug.

cheers,
jonathan
@gamepc, i don't see how you can consider this a bug, fatx doesn't support unicode (or acsii) characters at all, so you have never been able to tranfer files with chinese names over any ftp-server/dashboard to the xbox, no matter how many characters those file-names contained. xbmcs new ftp-shorten-scheme is only designed to handle acsi characters.
cheers your right and / sould have been -`s
(gamester17 @ may 24 2005,12:15 Wrote:@gamepc, i don't see how you can consider this a bug, fatx doesn't support unicode (or acsii) characters at all, so you have never been able to tranfer files with chinese names over any ftp-server/dashboard to the xbox, no matter how many characters those file-names contained. xbmcs new ftp-shorten-scheme is only designed to handle acsi characters.
on my xbox fat-x ,the x2/x3 bios not support unicode name files, but the evox m7/m8 support unicode name files perfect.

the old xbmc cvs verison ftp also support unicode name perfect with evox m7/m8 bios (before xbmc fat-x limitations)

it's so important, so important to non-english xbox user.

can make as a option? please!
hi,

i didn't know of this when i implemented the fatx limits.

could somebody provide information as to how this fatx-patching works? i guess the kernel exports are replaced by the bios upon launch. how does it manage to store more information in the fat's? eg 8bit vs 16bit.

it could be added as an option, but it would be even better to detect the patched kernel exports and do it automagically..
(spiff @ may 25 2005,03:12 Wrote:hi,

i didn't know of this when i implemented the fatx limits.

could somebody provide information as to how this fatx-patching works? i guess the kernel exports are replaced by the bios upon launch. how does it manage to store more information in the fat's? eg 8bit vs 16bit.

it could be added as an option, but it would be even better to detect the patched kernel exports and do it automagically..
thx spiff.

i test a lots bios + xbmc

the x2/x3 bios + xbmc , only some unicode charset can accept by ftp, most will error,can't trans it.

the evox m7/m8 bios + xbmc , unicode charset files name perfect accept by ftp, also longname, only a little limit.

but now xbmc cvs with fat-x limit , the files will auto rename by xbmc.

btw: xbmc files explorer in my files , the copy founction have same fat-x limit.
i added an option, until we find info on how to autodetect

spiff
this new filename renaming is great - however i was wondering whether you could take it a step further to locate files in playlists.
if a playlist contains a reference to a long/invalid filename, can it determine what the fatx filename would be and play that instead?
done. on load, unqualified names are substituted with qualified the ones

needs a bit more testing before i commit though..
awesome - that will make copying music tracks, and their playlists about a million times easier!
(spiff @ may 25 2005,14:18 Wrote:i added an option, until we find info on how to autodetect

spiff
sorry if i'm missing something obvious here, but where do we find this option? is it in an xml/ini file or in the settings menu? i compile my own builds every night and i still don't see anything regarding this new ftp jazz
maybe not too obvious, i didn't find any better place to put it.

it is in settings->network->servers
Pages: 1 2