Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crashing on a few movies.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had a few movies recently that are causing XBMC to crash. Usually get sound for a few seconds, but screen stays on movie selection screen, then XBMC crashes. Every now and then it has even caused Linux to crash within a minute of XBMC crashing. Movies are x264(AVC) with either DTS or AC3 5.1 audio and encoded with Avidemux and MKVmerge.

Here's the link to log of latest XBMC crash: [EDIT: Looks to me to be the log from restart after crash. Am I correct? I followed instructions for unchecking the option of skipping old log.]

Debug Log

First here's system info:
System is a Sony Vaio VGN-AR730E Laptop
2.1 GHz T8100 Intel Core 2 Duo
Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT GPU
3 GB RAM
Kernel: Linux 3.10.9-031009-generic
XBMC version: Frodo 12.2
GIT#: 12.2-32b1a5e
Yep there doesn't seem to be anything played there. When xbmc restarts it moves xbmc.log to xbmc.old.log and starts a new xbmc.log. Try
Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit
pastebinit ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.old.log
Tried running Log Uploader again but still sends newest log even though I have told it not to skip old log.

So, I went to xbmclogs.com and manually pasted log on page. Here is link to proper old log:

Correct Old Log
00:35:49 T:140065825986304 ERROR: (VDPAU) Error: The system does not have enough resources to complete the requested operation at this time.(23) checking for decoder support
(VDPAU) Error: A catch-all error, used when no other error code applies.(25) at VDPAU.cpp:1010

looks like too low gfx memory or bad nvidia driver installation
(2013-11-04, 08:46)ComputerGuru269 Wrote: [ -> ]Tried running Log Uploader again
Despite being told in clear terms what to do!
Yea, I noticed that to on the last file attempted before crash as well.

What I don't understand is I can play my full bluray rip of Battleship which is 35mbps and have no problem with VDPAU resources. Makes me suspect that perhaps VDPAU isn't releasing resources properly when I exit a movie and then open another or something.
Also, can you tell from log why video doesn't work on say Grown Ups 2 (starting around line 1483)? The movie played before it works fine and it is 11.3mbps, while GrownUps 2 is only 5,500 kbps. Would think if VDPAU was going to choke, it would do it on the higher bit rate movie, wouldn't it?
(2013-11-04, 08:57)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-04, 08:46)ComputerGuru269 Wrote: [ -> ]Tried running Log Uploader again

Didn't see his message until AFTER I made that post. I was busy trying to figure out how to get correct log posted. Forgive me for trying to solve issue myself. WHICH I DID!! Smile
please upgrade to 12.3 pre from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176721 and try again.
If it still doesn't work, try a gotham nightly.
(2013-11-04, 09:23)ComputerGuru269 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-04, 08:57)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]

Didn't see his message until AFTER I made that post. I was busy trying to figure out how to get correct log posted. Forgive me for trying to solve issue myself. WHICH I DID!! Smile
I suppose I should be less grumpy and more helpful.

There was a recent thread on here about a similar laptop with an 8400M GPU. I can't recall if we solved it (please tell me it wasn't you...).

If I find the thread I will post back.

Crap it was you...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=8400M

I really like nvidia for video playback, and would love to work out why yours craps out.
Yup, it was me, lol. You started off a little grumpy in that thread as well, lol.

Managed to get VDPAU fixed, or at least working anyway. Turns out I hadn't installed one of the VDPAU packages needed. Problem then was high CPU usage, which is a non-issue now. Only time CPU usage exceeds around 50% now is for some reason when I just hover over "Movies" or "TV" option in the main menu, CPU usage on second core goes up to 100%. Not sure why.
(2013-11-04, 09:37)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]please upgrade to 12.3 pre from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176721 and try again.
If it still doesn't work, try a gotham nightly.
OK. Getting late, so I'll try the Beta tomorrow and let you know. I'm not real familiar with Linux yet, so can you tell me which things on the beta page for linux I need to install and exactly how. Want to make sure I install everything needed and do it properly. I'm running 12.04 Precise, so I know I need those versions, but there's like 6 Precise labeled options.

Sorry for my ignorance! Confused
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-prestable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install pastebinit

Code:
dpkg -l |grep xbmc | pastebinit

Have fun :-) As Guru it should not be a problem, hehe.
(2013-11-04, 10:24)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Have fun :-) As Guru it should not be a problem, hehe.

LOL! Afraid that only applies to Windows. I admit it, I'm a complete moron when comes to any other OS.

Perhaps should change it to "PCGuru" to be more grammatically correct huh?

Anyway, thanks for the instructions fritsch!! I'm SLOWLY learning this whole Linux thing.
PC = personal computer != windows

so maybe windowsGuru, but that seems an oxymoron to me Tongue
Pages: 1 2