Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Vero OSMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(2015-02-03, 12:58)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]That's something that can always happen, especially in fast living technique market. No need to start a laughter. The vero / cubox still has their markets. The cubox has an esata port and gigabit ethernet, it can be a nice NAS and so on.

Oh yes, definitely. The cubox IS actually my NAS right now and is a very good "all-around" device that can run Kodi above the rest.
Just that the market for a pure OE/OSMC cubox/vero instantly disappeared, especially at 6x the price Wink
(2015-02-02, 11:24)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Don't want to be mean, but http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

Pretty sure you could've posted that elsewhere...

Nonetheless, Vero sales are still quite strong and a lot of people are realising that the Vero is still the better device (if price is not an issue). Obviously it goes without saying that $35 is going to get you the best P3 ratio, but Vero is not aimed at that: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/raspberry-pi...am_nazarko.
If we want to discuss that on a technical level,

Then here are all the facts, users should know:

- You surely know the the cubox won't do 23.976 hz and therefore cannot sync to the video clock needed most bluray rips are shipped. Therefore dts-hd, truehd will drop and dupe every now and then. Users have to switch to LPCM. 24.0 fps playback should work ™
- You should also know that Live TV (1080i50) was a really, really hard task and we are only approximately there, where the PI currently is with _stable_ software. None of this code has been pushed, things like RenderCapture are still missing and the two hard working devs are not overall happy, yet.
- Concerning the throughput, when I measure the ddr3 max bandwidth and compare it to a video I think, if everything goes well you will be able to play 1080p ~ 44 (44 progressive frames decoded and displayed)
- The Pi (2) has two years of advantage in kodi / xbmc adjustment and optimization

Quote:"All other TMDS clocks are not supported; the TMDS clocks divided or multiplied by 1,001 coefficients are not supported." §33.2.6.1

I really hope, that you can finde a workaround for this.
(2015-02-03, 20:41)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure you could've posted that elsewhere...

Nonetheless, Vero sales are still quite strong and a lot of people are realising that the Vero is still the better device (if price is not an issue). Obviously it goes without saying that $35 is going to get you the best P3 ratio, but Vero is not aimed at that: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/raspberry-pi...am_nazarko.

Sam, I can understand you want make a living (or at least profit) out of your OSMC work (and of Kodi) but I just want to be sure people buy your Vero in perfect understanding:

No, the Vero is not a better device than a PI2 as a pure Kodi device, as provided by OSMC. The cubox/vero has a bunch of advantage over the PI2, but those are of little use to Kodi (e.g. you don't need gigabit ethernet to stream a 1080p video)
Yes, the Cubox is surely a better device as, e.g. a NAS. But then it makes no sense to buy your device at at least twice the price of solid-run because OSMC is of no use for this.
I think a lot of you are missing the point though. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who wouldn't dream of paying £130 for a device they themselves can get up and running for less than half that price, but not everyone has the know how and as kodi becomes more mainstream and popular, then people will happily pay that price for a plug and play option. They happily pay hundreds of pounds for a mobile phone and tens of pounds a month for a contract.

I'm more in the plug and play camp at the moment because i don't yet have the knowledge or desire to buy a box of parts and spend time assembling it, then spending hours and hours tweaking and geeking said device. A lot of you like the challenge of getting as much as you can out of as little as possible and that's fine, but not everyone wants that.

I could just go and pay £80 for a fire TV i suppose, but i admire people who have a go at stuff and i'd rather pay the extra to them than give Amazon a few more pounds to add to their billions.

Remember also that a Chromebox is £175 in the UK and the fact that Vero ships from the UK is of particular interest to me. Depends what you are looking for. Horses for courses.
(2015-02-03, 22:19)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]I could just go and pay £80 for a fire TV i suppose, but i admire people who have a go at stuff and i'd rather pay the extra to them than give Amazon a few more pounds to add to their billions.
That's probably not the best argument vs. a charitable organization like the Raspberry PI foundation, which went from nothing to build the most successful embedded device, all from UK, with the goal of educating children in computing Wink

Not to mention the fact that the Kodi rpi maintainer is now one of their employees.

But yeah, so be it. Let's see how plug-and-play Vero will be and hope the devs that brought imx6 support to Kodi (hint: no one from Vero/OSMC) don't loose interest.

What's important is that you know what you're buying.
The chromebox isnt £175 in the UK. I bought mine for £130 NEW
(2015-02-04, 00:34)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-03, 22:19)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]I could just go and pay £80 for a fire TV i suppose, but i admire people who have a go at stuff and i'd rather pay the extra to them than give Amazon a few more pounds to add to their billions.
That's probably not the best argument vs. a charitable organization like the Raspberry PI foundation, which went from nothing to build the most successful embedded device, all from UK, with the goal of educating children in computing Wink

Not to mention the fact that the Kodi rpi maintainer is now one of their employees.

But yeah, so be it. Let's see how plug-and-play Vero will be and hope the devs that brought imx6 support to Kodi (hint: no one from Vero/OSMC) don't loose interest.

What's important is that you know what you're buying.

Yep, take your point re Raspberry Pi but it's still a "buy it in a kit and put it together yourself" type thing and was developed purely for education. As i said before, some get great pleasure out of seeing what they can make a £30 piece of kit do and most people who buy the Vero will neither know or care who developed it, or whether they "appropriated" some else's work. Open source is just that. Kodi will go totally mainstream eventually by the look of things and the masses will want an easy option like a set top box. It may be the Vero that takes off, it may not.
(2015-02-04, 01:26)stuCONNERS Wrote: [ -> ]The chromebox isnt £175 in the UK. I bought mine for £130 NEW

I'm sure you did but i couldn't find one at that price except at Argos and they were out of stock unsurprisingly. You obviously got it when on offer somewhere. I cannot currently find one for less than £170 but i haven't looked that vigourously because i have decided to get something else now.
(2015-02-03, 21:51)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-03, 20:41)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure you could've posted that elsewhere...

Sam, I can understand you want make a living (or at least profit) out of your OSMC work (and of Kodi) but I just want to be sure people buy your Vero in perfect understanding:

No, the Vero is not a better device than a PI2 as a pure Kodi device, as provided by OSMC. The cubox/vero has a bunch of advantage over the PI2, but those are of little use to Kodi (e.g. you don't need gigabit ethernet to stream a 1080p video)
Yes, the Cubox is surely a better device as, e.g. a NAS. But then it makes no sense to buy your device at at least twice the price of solid-run because OSMC is of no use for this.

OSMC is not just a pure Kodi distribution though, so it will take advantage of the other features.

(2015-02-03, 22:19)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]I think a lot of you are missing the point though. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who wouldn't dream of paying £130 for a device they themselves can get up and running for less than half that price, but not everyone has the know how and as kodi becomes more mainstream and popular, then people will happily pay that price for a plug and play option. They happily pay hundreds of pounds for a mobile phone and tens of pounds a month for a contract.

I'm more in the plug and play camp at the moment because i don't yet have the knowledge or desire to buy a box of parts and spend time assembling it, then spending hours and hours tweaking and geeking said device. A lot of you like the challenge of getting as much as you can out of as little as possible and that's fine, but not everyone wants that.

I could just go and pay £80 for a fire TV i suppose, but i admire people who have a go at stuff and i'd rather pay the extra to them than give Amazon a few more pounds to add to their billions.

Remember also that a Chromebox is £175 in the UK and the fact that Vero ships from the UK is of particular interest to me. Depends what you are looking for. Horses for courses.

This is the market we are going for. I personally, prefer to build a computer than get a new one, but if I am recommending one to a friend that is less technically inclined, then a prebuilt makes sense. People on this forum can afford to put in the hours to tinker and experiment with the right solution for them. The idea of the Vero is those that don't want to don't have to.
(2015-02-04, 02:33)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-04, 01:26)stuCONNERS Wrote: [ -> ]The chromebox isnt £175 in the UK. I bought mine for £130 NEW

I'm sure you did but i couldn't find one at that price except at Argos and they were out of stock unsurprisingly. You obviously got it when on offer somewhere. I cannot currently find one for less than £170 but i haven't looked that vigourously because i have decided to get something else now.

Amazon has the 4GB HP Chromebox for £149. http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Chromebox-cb1...=chromebox
(2015-02-03, 13:33)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes, definitely. The cubox IS actually my NAS right now and is a very good "all-around" device that can run Kodi above the rest.
Just that the market for a pure OE/OSMC cubox/vero instantly disappeared, especially at 6x the price Wink
(2015-02-03, 21:16)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Then here are all the facts, users should know:

- You surely know the the cubox won't do 23.976 hz and therefore cannot sync to the video clock needed most bluray rips are shipped. Therefore dts-hd, truehd will drop and dupe every now and then. Users have to switch to LPCM. 24.0 fps playback should work ™
- You should also know that Live TV (1080i50) was a really, really hard task and we are only approximately there, where the PI currently is with _stable_ software. None of this code has been pushed, things like RenderCapture are still missing and the two hard working devs are not overall happy, yet.

Of course he knows Fritsch...
I don't know what Koying's definition of an "all-around" device includes but for me it MUST include 23.976Hz sync and decent quality deinterlacing of 1080i50. The Cubox has a way to go to reach these minimum standards. To suggest otherwise is just not being honest.
(2015-02-04, 02:47)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-04, 02:33)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Amazon has the 4GB HP Chromebox for £149. http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Chromebox-cb1...=chromebox

Thanks for the link. I had seen that but i'm sure i read on here somewhere that the HP is not the chromebox to go for. I'm waiting for the HP stream mini to be available here as it ships with Windows and that is what i'm wanting. Hope it lives up to the expectations when people get their hands on one.
(2015-02-04, 03:38)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-04, 02:47)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-04, 02:33)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure you did but i couldn't find one at that price except at Argos and they were out of stock unsurprisingly. You obviously got it when on offer somewhere. I cannot currently find one for less than £170 but i haven't looked that vigourously because i have decided to get something else now.

Thanks for the link. I had seen that but i'm sure i read on here somewhere that the HP is not the chromebox to go for. I'm waiting for the HP stream mini to be available here as it ships with Windows and that is what i'm wanting. Hope it lives up to the expectations when people get their hands on one.

The Asus is definitely the preferred box - quieter fan and a second SODIMM slot (but 2GB is ample, 4GB more than ample) - but that doesn't mean the HP is a bad one.
(2015-02-04, 03:47)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-04, 03:38)stefcon1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-04, 02:47)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Amazon has the 4GB HP Chromebox for £149. http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Chromebox-cb1...=chromebox

The Asus is definitely the preferred box - quieter fan and a second SODIMM slot (but 2GB is ample, 4GB more than ample) - but that doesn't mean the HP is a bad one.

Will bear that in mind, thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33