Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why Only Positive Ratings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seems to me that they mean little without the possibility to vote in the opposite.
So, why not a negative vote?
Oh dear have I offended someone again? LOL.

I guess because positivity is being encouraged.
Naww, u didn't offend me .. well, not yet .. so the challenge is thrown down Smile
Because some members abused the negative voting?
Only because some users cared about reputation we left it in.
I'm pretty sure none of the entire team cares or looks at his/hers or other people's reputation.

Negative reputation is disabled because we don't want to promote a negative atmosphere. This is not reddit where you upvote and downvote people based on your opinion. This is a site where you can give a person a little plus-nudge to tell them you liked what they said in a certain post.

I would like to get rid of reputation alltogether, but add something like a 'this post solved my issue'-button which can only be used by the thread starter. In that situation that could then give the solver a +1. To me that would make sense much more, as it would promote people who actively help users on the forum.
(2015-02-01, 21:07)Kib Wrote: [ -> ]Only because some users cared about reputation we left it in.
I'm pretty sure none of the entire team cares or looks at his/hers or other people's reputation.

Negative reputation is disabled because we don't want to promote a negative atmosphere. This is not reddit where you upvote and downvote people based on your opinion. This is a site where you can give a person a little plus-nudge to tell them you liked what they said in a certain post.

I would like to get rid of reputation alltogether, but add something like a 'this post solved my issue'-button which can only be used by the thread starter. In that situation that could then give the solver a +1. To me that would make sense much more, as it would promote people who actively help users on the forum.

+1

Smile
To me it's a 'Thank you' button. Big Grin
(2015-02-01, 22:22)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]To me it's a 'Thank you' button. :grin:

This. I've even suggested changing the text on the button from [+/-] to [+ 1], [Thank you], [Thank this user], etc.

Personally, I most often use it when someone says something funny, so I'm technically abusing the positive :D
Have you suggested this? Err, we can do that I guess, but see my post above on what I'd rather do.
I like that idea even more, but I just figured in the meantime it would make sense to not have the button say "+/-" when it can only "+" :)
First someone needs to design a new button Smile
Kib, it's plain HTML + CSS, so only a template change required - or probably even only a language string - need to check later.
(2015-02-01, 22:22)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]To me it's a 'Thank you' button. Big Grin

+1
The +/- button is cryptic, something like what XDA has would be good - a 'thank user for this post' button and instead of reputation you have 'thanks received'. I don't really care about the numbers but being thanked for helping is always nice.
(2015-02-04, 04:32)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]The +/- button is cryptic, something like what XDA has would be good - a 'thank user for this post' button and instead of reputation you have 'thanks received'. I don't really care about the numbers but being thanked for helping is always nice.

Yep, despite my .sig, the thanks are what counts. I often get people with too few posts to give a rating asking me where the +/- button is. I regard that as a thank you in itself and it is always enough.
Pages: 1 2