Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV Ontario (TVO) Video Addon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I've just freshly installed Kodi 20.1 and installed TVO 4.01test (and the new scraper above) with no problem

Upon trying to open the addon I'm getting a Check the Log error and the addon won't open.

It was working fine with Kodi 20.0.  Has anybody upgraded and had this issue?

Thanks
Howdy, howdy,

My first post on the first add-on I've worked on.

I've taken the good work @kodaksmith and @learningit did with this add-on, added some functionality and prettied it up a bit.  I've been enjoying it for about a month and decided to share.  I've added functionality for 'The Agenda', podcasts, search, and new listings for 'Series', 'Docs' and 'A-Z'.  Where possible, I list ALL of the shows on a single page.  'The Agenda' only allows 20 results at a time.  Podcasts show 50 results per page.  I even added the schedule since it was there on the tvo.org website and simple to add.  I've included air dates where available and you can sort by title, date, duration and episode (although the season and episode data provided by the website are misleading sometimes.  For example, when looking at a list of series, 'season' and 'episode' refer to the LATEST episode and not how many seasons and episodes TVO provides of each series).

My search is a little clunky but works.  It's a two step process of typing your search term and then clicking on the 'Search for: <your search>' link that appears.  That avoids the 'Enter search term' pop-up showing up and having to retype your search whenever a refresh happens while on the first page of results.  And no, just hitting <Escape> doesn't get around it (some odd search results show up).  If someone knows of a way to do it in one step I'd love to add it to the code.  Also, the TVO website provides a nice filter to include only search results of 'type' = 'video' but I've been unsuccessful getting that filter to work with the python requests module.  Instead I have to grab 100 results at a time and pick out the 'video' ones.  Again, if you can get the filter working please let me know how.  I may add a 'Search history' later on.

I'm not sure of the best way to share but this is how you can get this code:
-add 'https://ertyertyerty.github.io/' as a source in your 'File manager'
-go through the process to install an add-on from a zip file, choosing the source you just created, and install the 't1mlib' zip file first followed by the 'tvo' zip file.  The 'tvo' file needs the updated 't1mlib' file so order is important.

Regarding @barney63's last post, I'm still using Kodi 19.5 but this MAY fix your problem.  One thing I noticed while using the original t1mlib library were warnings in the log about 'xbmc.translatePath' being deprecated.  It looks like Kodi 20 or 20.1 may have officially gotten rid of it.  It's been replaced with 'xbmcvfs.translatePath'.  You can either try my files or edit your existing t1mlib.py file, adding those three 'vfs' letters to the nine times 'xbmc.translatePath' is used.
First, thank you for the reminder about the t1mlib.py file  Every time a new Kodi version comes out (20.1) I figure that is a good excuse to clean house and start over.  I had totally forgotten about t1mlib.py. That fixed both of the addons I was having an issue with, so thanks.

When I get a minute I am going to have a look at what you have done and offer feedback.  I am glad you are looking at end user usability as sometimes that doesn't seem to be a priority for some developers.  It's great that something works but as a former librarian I know you also have to be able to find things.  Things like alphabetical A-Z sorts are a must for making searches and browsing so much quicker when dealing with long lists, our brains are trained to work that way.

"Prettying it up" is important to get end users to use the final product, we have to remember not everybody is a coder. 

As for the number of results displayed, you might want to check out the settings in jbinkley60's CBC Sports addon (in the Kodi Repo)  He did a great job on that addon.

Anyway I'll see if I can figure out how to get your addon loaded and get back to you.  Glad you are doing this service for the community, it would be a big deal just to bring some old addons back to life. ie Xumo
Great job, easy enough to install.  I just put https://ertyertyerty.github.io/  in the browser, the two files came up, I downloaded them and then installed via zip file in Kodi.

Works good, I just have a few nitpicky sort things (surprise) that'll I'll post later when I have a really good look.

I noticed Apocalypse World War I isn't working but The Agenda with Steve Paikin is (hooray)

Great start, thanks for doing it.
You're right about Apocalypse World War I not working!!!  I couldn't believe it!  But if you go to the TVO.org website with a browser that show isn't working there either.  This currently looks like just a problem with the website.  Phew!!  I know that show did work for me a month ago (being near the alphabetical top of the list meant it was a guinea pig for lots of testing).
(2023-03-19, 02:36)barney63 Wrote: [ -> ]Great job, easy enough to install.  I just put https://ertyertyerty.github.io/  in the browser, the two files came up, I downloaded them and then installed via zip file in Kodi.

Works good, I noticed Apocalypse World War I isn't working but The Agenda with Steve Paikin is (hooray)
@ertyertyerty

This version of TVO (5.0.0) was working well, I upgraded to Kodi 20.2 and all the programs play ok unless they are part of a series.  I don't know if the upgrade is related to the problem.

Getting a Check the Log error when trying to open a program marked as (Series). ie African Renaissance (Series)

Individual programs open fine, programs that are part of series get the error

I will say that, twice, I was able to open the first episode of the African Renaissance series and after closing it and trying to open it again it gave the error.  I get the error when trying to open any other series.

Kodi 20.2/Win 7/TVO ver 5.0.0
(2023-08-14, 07:35)barney63 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-03-19, 02:36)barney63 Wrote: [ -> ]Great job, easy enough to install.  I just put https://ertyertyerty.github.io/  in the browser, the two files came up, I downloaded them and then installed via zip file in Kodi.

Works good, I noticed Apocalypse World War I isn't working but The Agenda with Steve Paikin is (hooray)
@ertyertyerty

This version of TVO (5.0.0) was working well, I upgraded to Kodi 20.2 and all the programs play ok unless they are part of a series.  I don't know if the upgrade is related to the problem.

Getting a Check the Log error when trying to open a program marked as (Series). ie African Renaissance (Series)

Individual programs open fine, programs that are part of series get the error

I will say that, twice, I was able to open the first episode of the African Renaissance series and after closing it and trying to open it again it gave the error.  I get the error when trying to open any other series.

Kodi 20.2/Win 7/TVO ver 5.0.0
Was wondering if someone could look at this version of the TVO addon (5.0.0) 

This version had the main network program (The Agenda with Steve Paikin) working and it also included podcasts and a schedule.

The error is detailed above.  Thanks

@ertyertyerty

GitHub ertyertyerty/plugin.video.tvo Public
The older instructions in post #87 still work if you wish to play an episode from History -> African Renaissance (Series).

Note that these older instructions in post #87 do not work for The Agenda with Steve Paikin or for Search.  The web site uses different structures for these two things.

For anyone interested in taking the TVO addon further, you might consider comparing differences between this and the aforementioned v5.0.0.
TVO ver 5.0.0 added some features not available in the earlier version, one of which was the much requested program The Agenda.  It's above my pay grade, but I am wondering if this is a simple fix (ie a change of directory) Also some of the podcasts seem to point to the same podcast.  But the main issue is programs that are part of a series will not play.  Standalone programs will play fine.
Howdy, howdy,

I've been away for a bit.
Are people still having trouble watching a series?  Everything seems to be working fine on my machine.  I'm running Kodi 20.3.0 (2024-01-28) on OSMC 2024.02-1 (kernel: Linux 5.15.92-1-osmc) on a Raspberry Pi (I forget which version).  I'd love to fix the issue if I could just reproduce it.
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling my files?  They haven't changed since they were posted a year ago.  Maybe something got overwritten on your end during an upgrade?  I haven't had any trouble in the last 12 months, but I only use the add-on sporadically.  That may change now that 'The Agenda' is back.
@ertyertyerty

Still the same issue, I loaded up the t1m script module and the 5.0.0 addon. 

The addon opened fine and looked ok.

I went to The Agenda and opened an episode and it worked.  When I closed it, it gave a Check the Log error  and I couldn't open it again (Check the Log error).

Individual programs will open and play, anything marked (Series) will not play

TVO 5.0.0/Kodi 20.3/Win 7
@ertyertyerty

Here is my log of going in and trying to open The Agenda and then trying another series Employ Me
Darn.  This is going to be tricky since like I said it's working for me.  I was able to watch the latest clip from 'The Agenda', quit, watch it again, quit, go back to 'TVO Originals', back into 'The Agenda', watch the latest clip again, quit, back to 'TVO Originals', over to 'Employable Me', watch the first episode, quit, watch the third episode, quit, watch the first episode again, quit, and back to 'The Agenda' for more clips.

I've got your log file.  I don't have a Windows 7 machine as you do.  I'll see if I can find any differences in the versions of the various software involved, force some updates on my machine and maybe then I'll reproduce the problem.  Or this might be a job for github codespaces?  In any case, I'll take a look.
I don't think it's me.  It was working great before and still works as long as a program isn't part of a series (it may work the first time, just keep checking).  Perhaps someone else can give it a shot and see.  Use these two files

ertyertyerty are those still the correct files?

Thanks for looking
Oh no.  I'm sure the problem is legit.  It just seems to be platform dependent, which is annoying when I don't have the relevant platform.  But maybe it'll just be a case of upgrading my xbmcgui from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4 or something like that to reproduce this issue on my system.
At least we have a common issue with the add-on, which is that ListItem is deprecated.  That message floods my log file as it does yours.  The fix seems like a bit of work, especially for my mediocre Python skills.  But as a book says, it'll give me a chance to 'Learn Python the Hard Way'.

Yes, the files you listed are still the relevant ones.  For now...  I'll probably start posting beta builds there for you (and others) to try.

P.S. I sent that 'Buddy request' thinking we'd then be able to message outside of this thread.  But no, it didn't pan out on my end.  I expect there'll be a lot of 'try this and send me the log file', 'now try this', 'and now this', etc.  I was hoping to keep this thread clean but I suppose 6 lifetime messages isn't enough to unlock my Kodi Forum private chat privilege.  Assuming there is one...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9