Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [GPL] Violating the license KODI is released under.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2015-05-08, 19:47)j1nx Wrote: [ -> ]No no, I am not saying QNAP is not promoting piracy. I mean, it is not kodi that is providing it. It is only mentioned as being the tool to play the content.

Like telling how to install Firefox and add some dodgy extension to it.

Seriously start reading our policy for a change.
in short: you may not connect Kodi to pirated content. So also not stating you can install add-ons that provide you that content

I am sure that Firefox will not allow you to tell people how to install a dodgy extension.
(2015-05-08, 19:47)j1nx Wrote: [ -> ]No no, I am not saying QNAP is not promoting piracy. I mean, it is not kodi that is providing it. It is only mentioned as being the tool to play the content.

Like telling how to install Firefox and add some dodgy extension to it.

IMO the sponsorship is the issue, otherwise who cares...
If Qnap profits from selling a device that advertises software that can play pirated movies (including instructions on how too), and that "Software" receives money in the form of sponsorship... well one can argue they profit from each other... making the two linked!
@Martijn, Yet it is all over the internet!

This is actually what i meant earlier with how the natural evolution of the internet also mean how our piracy needs have been evolved.

I really believe the path of trying to stop them to talk about it, is something you can keep up.

Edit: never knew QNAP is a sponsor
They are not a sponsor. However that still does not make a difference that they promote such things
Do you really want to keep trying...?

I mean, it is a uphill battle that you will loose. Hence even the bigger brands are already jumping in.
(2015-05-08, 19:59)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]They are not a sponsor. However that still does not make a difference that they promote such things

HAHA news to me... my bad. Though they had ties with XBMC going back a number of years.

If that's the case... just another bum mudding up the Kodi name... unfortunate, but nothing can be done about that!
(2015-05-08, 20:00)j1nx Wrote: [ -> ]Do you really want to keep trying...?

You seriously lacking brains? (honest question)
Stop trolling
It is not trolling.

What I mean is; This is going to happen more and more. Now it is 1, tomorrow it is 2, 4 ,8 ,16 etc. It is of how we use the internet nowadays has been evolving. You honestly can not keep trying to silence them all to talk about how to add addons to Kodi that can be used for piracy things. (dweilen met de kraan open)

Accept it, hence even a judge will accept you guys can not fight that battle.

Like Lunatixz says; unfortunate, but nothing can be done about that!
There's quite a difference between a reputable company doing it and a individual scammer doing the same. Companies have a business and an image to protect. You're right nothing can probably be done (or is worth to do) if they refuse to comply but a lot can be done by the community. Starting by not helping anyone that has issues with a qnap device for instance.
As mentioned elsewhere, the real irony of the QNAP blogger writing this up is that they're effectively writing a blog post about how you can use Kodi without needing a NAS. Not a super smart business decision on their part.
Whaha, that irony is indeed funny Smile Missed it completely
(2015-05-08, 20:55)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]As mentioned elsewhere, the real irony of the QNAP blogger writing this up is that they're effectively writing a blog post about how you can use Kodi without needing a NAS. Not a super smart business decision on their part.
(2015-05-08, 20:58)j1nx Wrote: [ -> ]Whaha, that irony is indeed funny Smile Missed it completely

LMFAO, I missed that as well... too funny
(2015-05-08, 19:26)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Let me assure you that this is not allowed by us to let QNAP make such blogs. I will notify our contact at QNAP immediately. They are a respectable big company and we would not expect them to make such blogs.
This is what happens when left side of the company doesn't know what the right side does. So some blog happy employee likely made it while not having the full knowledge or approval from his/her boss.

Actually, QNAP is completely within their rights with that blog post. Following trademark law is not the same as following our trademark policy, which is written to require more than the law does. Trademark protection is not total control. They wrote a how-to guide, and not much more. Their own guide makes it clear that the content, add-ons, and such, are not provided by Kodi.

It is very stupid that they've done this, but we should politely ask them to change it rather than make demands.

EDIT: and just to be clear, I'm very mad at them and I think this is very fucked up, even if it isn't "technically" a violation of trademark.
***MOD EDIT: mud slinging removed***
(2015-05-09, 05:12)BeesKnees Wrote: [ -> ]***MOD EDIT: mud slinging removed***

Knock it off.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6